16 h.p. Briggs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RedWolf, Sep 29, 2006.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Hey guys.I have a :confused: .What would cause a single cylinder 16 hp briggs to back fire as it runs? It has the magtron coil instead of points.It runs but it sputters and backfires.I checked the flywheel key and it was fine.I cleaned and rebuilt the carb.Could it be the coil?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is where a in-line spark tester would come in handy to check for intermittent spark while running, But sounds like it could be a exhaust valve not closing also.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with restrorob about the valve. could be burnt or sticking. or as simple as you bouncing up and down on the seat activating the safety switch.

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Its on a old three wheeled yazoo. so no safty on the seat. I will check the valve.How often do the magtron coils crap out?

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

it has been my experience that the magnetron either works or doesn't. always exceptions to the rules.

6. Restrorob

WOOOOO NELLY.....Is this a 326400 16hp cast iron block single cylinder ?

If it is the magnetron ignition will NOT work on this engine, The timing is different on these old singles and it will NOT run right.
    You must do away with the magnetron and go back to the points to get it running properly....

7. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

here are the numbers off the motor 326437 0318-01 7906201. It is a cast iron block one banger.The coil doesnt look like a magantron. But it dont have the point wires running to the coil.

8. Restrorob

If there are no wires from the points to the coil you will need to hook them back up. But I need to know which style coil you have on there before you do so.

Briggs 326400 Coil.jpg

9. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Yes it does

10. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Yes its on the coil