16 hp Briggs, oil leak and smokes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dfor, Nov 1, 2007.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

16hp Briggs on a Billy Goat debris loader. Had the dealer replace the impellor. One of the blades cracked at the end of last year.

Got it back, started it up and I think I heard it spit oil from the marked area in the second picture. Oil is under the muffler, as shown in the third picture. It doesn't smoke a lot at an idle, but it really smokes when I rev it up. Then starts to bog down.

Any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like the crank seal blew out, I would take it back if this is the first time you've cranked it. Seems they would have test ran it after the repair.

Anytime I have to remove a pulley etc. from a crank I always replace that couple dollar seal so something like this doesn't happen.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks restrorob. Yes, this is the first time I started it after the repair (week ago). He said he started it, but I'm not sure he did. Didn't start right up, had to use a small shot of starting fluid. Is it possible that it blew because of something that they did? Or is it coincidental?

And is the seal right there, once he takes the impellor off? How much more time is involved once it's off?

Unit is about 5 years old. Used 6 weeks a year. Doubt it has filled up my pick-up with full plywood sides more than 25 times per year.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be willing to bet the farm that they either heated or burnt the old impeller off and that is what damaged the seal. If that's the case it's their screw-up and up to them to repair.

The seal will be looking at them when they pull the impeller, And if they were smart they used anit-seize on the crank but I doubt it.....