16 hp Briggs. Started right up, now won't

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dfor, Oct 1, 2013.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

It might be a good time to check your valve adjustments..
    The ACR may be erratic if the valves are out of adjustment..

2. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

It is absolutely critical you check if it has spark when it won`t start then we can suggest further steps...

As for the starter issue Im not clear on what's happening. You say you pull the cord and it gets stuck out half way till you wind it back by hand? If thats the case your starter pawls recoil needs to be looked at to lubricate/check proper operation.replace worn parts.

Valve adjustment definatley an excellent thing to check. But don`t do ANYTHING till you know if it has spark when it wont start.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The reason that this engine is intermittently locking up ??.....I havent seen this engine..but I'll take a few guesses...
    Engines with impellers bolted to the crank and that are run at WOT for hours on end....like Little Wonder Blowers..
    Seem to have crank bearing issues...The bearings wear and the crank and cam gears get out of alignment and they develop funky wear patterns..
    When pulling the rope to turn the crank..occasionally the gears will hit a spot where they dont mesh too good..
    Just an educated guess...

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Okay. Pulled plugs and checked spark. Thumbs Up Fiddled with a few wires.

Started it up and you'll see the result in the videos if you have the chance to look. Weird thing is it didn't smoke like this 6 days ago or yesterday when I had it going.

Same oil level as when I used it last fall.

http://s104.photobucket.com/user/dfor/library/Leaf loader?sort=6&page=1

5. tigerepairdotcom

Take it somewhere immediately or you could find yourself replacing an expensive engine :)

6. tigerepairdotcom

Did you check the spark after it dies and wouldn't re-start?