1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

16 hp giant vac-front mounted reciever and GMC 2500??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by seacoastlandscape, Oct 16, 2006.

1. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

I am upgrading from a 11hp tailgate to a 16 hp giant vac loader. My plan is to mount the vac on a receiver in the front of my GMC 2500. Concerns are it might be way to heavy, the receiver is rated at 500 pounds which I know it can hold more but I dont want to push the limit on it. Anyone know what the vac will weigh with the chute and everything on it and is it safe to mount it in front? Can the truck handle it?
  2. I asked the weight of a snowplow on a 2500 at the EXPO. It was close to 880#
    I'm sure your Giant Vac is less than that, plus you won't be raming it into stuff like you would a snow plow.
  3. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

According to the catalog, the 16 HP Giant Vac weighs 560 lbs. The hitch mount is probably another 100 (I own this setup, and it's built heavy). My question is whether it's legal to run this rig in CT. It's not in Mass. because the tube obstructs your view. Check with your DOT.
    The swing mount works well on the trailer hitch, but if you are pulling a trailer it's a problem. Some of the guys have mounted them above the trailer tongue on dump trailers. Good luck.
  4. seacoastlandscape

I guess running it in the front is technically illegal in ct too but no one does anything about it yet. More than half the landscapers around here have the vacs mounted in the front so when dot decides to enforce it its really going to piss alot of people off. I cant run a swing mount because I need to pull a trailer and Ive worked with vacs mounted on trailers tongue's and its kinda a pain.
  5. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I think the front mounted vac is the way to go, assuming you can get away with it.
  6. Don't they make those Timbren bolsters for the front of trucks for people using snowplows?
  7. seacoastlandscape

mounting it on a snow plow fram would be ideal but I dont plow and just to by the frame is around 600$, not worth it. Anyone have any close up pics of how ur vac is mounted to the front?
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have any pictures but I made mine the same as a rear receiver hitch. Ibuilt my own and boted i to the frame. I then welded a 2" piece of tube to the loader and slide it on and pin it. I also have receivers welded to different areas of my trailers so I can mount the loader on them if anything happens to the truck. You might be able to find pictures of front mounted receivers on a boating site I know some people use them to make backing a boat in easier.

9. seacoastlandscape

alot of people are telling me the strongest and safest way would be to mount it to a plow frame. Anyone have any close up pics of how that is done?
  10. seacoastlandscape

bump bump bump