16 HP V-Twin Briggs Seized up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jul 31, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I just found out from my dealer that the reason for the seized engine is because two gears on my oil pump broke, and caused it to stop working, thus not providing the engie with any oil. Lucky enough it is still covered under my 2 year warranty.

How anybody had this happen to them as well?
  2. tiedeman

from earth

I tried to edit it, but too late. I meant to say

HAS, not HOW anybody ever had this happen to them?
  3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

My brother didn't put oil in his wb for a whille and it seized. Your lucky ya still got the warranty
  4. tiedeman

from earth

yup, would have been around $749 for new engine and I am thinking about $180 for labor.
  5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Sorry to hear that about your engine, nice thing is its under the warranty, Ive got a scag with the 16hp Briggs Vanguard, purchased new in 93, has been the best engine ive owned in 15yrs as far as trouble free, and it still swings them doubles like a new engine, I never did put a hour meter on it but it has to be pushing somewhere around 3000hrs or more, a engine like that come's around maybe every 10yrs or so, ive ran most of the engines out there, Hondas, Robins, Kawi, Kohler and have had good luck with them also, Preventive maintaince is a big factor in engine life. Good Luck with your replacement engine......Marks Mowing Service
  6. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

I bought a Great Dane surfer that had a seized up 18hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard. What happened was the previous owner never cleaned the dead grass and dirt out around the cylinder head where the cooling fins are on the block and therefore it heated up and made a valve freeze up. And that bent the pushrod and screwed up everything else in the motor. I know at least the top end of the motor was junk so i went ahead and bought a new motor for 500 bucks.
  7. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Mark P,

I have one too...mine is just as old and still runs strong on a 52" wb...love it...