16' or 18'?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Fwilamosky, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

IF. :hammerhead:

Read it again. This time read the whole thing.

2. Duffster

from Midwest

Can you show us one thing that says that being over GVWR would require a CDL?

3. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

I have no problem admitting if I am wrong but I read the last sentence if the vehicle being towed has a gvwr of more than 10,000 if I am wrong then I apologize and would appreciate an explanation please
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Duffster

from Midwest

The over 10k trailer doesn't come into play until the combined GVWR is over 26k.

Abreviated:
    "A combination of 26,001 pounds or more if the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds"

You can't just read half the statement.

Now this is all based on GVWR, not GVW. So see how having a trailer, or truck, overloaded would make no difference in wether or not it needs a CDL?

5. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

Well thank you for pointing that out too me I greatly appreciate it. I apologize to everyone for making a false statement earlier in this thread.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you run a very tight route (areas with townhouses and small streets) I would go with an 18ft you will find a use for the extra space. Just for reference I can fit a 21 push mower, a 36 walk behind, and two 52 procats on a 16ft open trailer but its very very tight.

7. Fwilamosky

Fwilamosky LawnSite Senior Member

yeah I know how much I can fit on a 16', but when I throw on a bagger next year on ztr then it won't fit on a 16'. I need to be able to fit 21, 36 wb, 48 wb, and 61 ztr with bagger too. so I'm leaning toward an 18'.