16 starting soon. help being legit

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigexpo, Jul 30, 2006.

1. bigexpo

bigexpo LawnSite Member

hey im 16 and want to try somthing new so im going to try landscaping/grass cutting. i have read other posts that say you have to have insurance pay taxes ect. im 16 so what do i have to do to become legit? i just want to make some extra money to help out with bills and money for extra stuff. anone tell me what i need or need to do to start off right

2. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well first you need insurance on your truck and trailer. Then you need some type of liability insurance. You also need to be liscensed with the state and pay taxes. In some states its diffrent but that is just a basic overview. And search you will find more info in 5 minutes than many can provide you with in 1 day.

3. yzwannab

yzwannab LawnSite Member

i am 16 aswell, and in michigan i don't think i can get insurance? But like if he cant do get insurance what should he do????? not trying to hijack.....

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Parents cosigning maybe. However be prepared im 19 (20 in a week) and I get raked through the coals for insurance.

Cheers
    Jeff

5. bigexpo

bigexpo LawnSite Member

well im going to look at some trailers for next year. and might do leaf removal here when the trees sneeze. lol well just really any help on a newbie is much appreciated.. can i get started on 1000 bucks and how long did it take you to get your first account?

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

First account --First day,
    $1000 bucks yes and no, can you buy a $299.00 mower and a broom for that --Yes. add another 200 for a trimmer, so for 500 you can cut grass.
    1/2 mile from you house --you need wheels-- $500 for those-- maybe but do you want to drive that.
    Are you a business?? do you have insurance?? That will cost some money-- you need gas-- trimmer line- what about paper to print fliers on (and the printing)
    Can you cut grass for less than $1000.00 --Yes thousands of homeowners do it every day.
    Can you create a business for less than $1000.00 Not really-- but you can create a job for yourself.

For $1000.00 you can start to cut grass and than put every dollar for the next few years into creating a business so that when you are 18 you will be able to start to live off what you sow.
    One part of you question has me worried though-- "I want to try something new"---"so im going to try landscaping/grass cutting" It does not sound like you really want to do this -- just test it a little- Just so you know, It is very hard work in HOT temps, very dirty, needing a lot of investment in equipment to make it!

Good luck in whatever you decide

7. bigexpo

bigexpo LawnSite Member

not trying to be rude but i ment that i want to do somthing besides work in doors and work for someone else when i can make my own money in the great outdoors. when i do things i put 100% into it so i guess i shouldnt have said ill try it. lol.
    also i have a suv so i can tote the mower, blower, weed wacker ect. around for a while until i can get a trailer. i have a car for sale right now but all that is going towards the new truck on payments im making.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

try working for someone else for awhile to make sure you like it, at your age you should be able to get a job working for someone else, maybe not mowing or running equipment but doing the landscape aspect of it. Don't spend the money before you are sure that this is what you want to do.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever you decide to do be very careful working outside in these 100 degree days we are having.

It is very easy to get dehydrated and start to suffer from heat exhaustion. Just take it slow until you gain a tolerance for severe heat. Cuttin grass is a helluva lot tuffer than most people think.

10. bigexpo

bigexpo LawnSite Member

is anyone 16 or did anyone start when they were 16. like what do i do to start out i realy have no idea on what to do flyers equiptent. and yes i am sure i want to do it. i like being outside and when i sweat it means im doing the job