16' vs 18' Isuzu

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Tadams, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

This is for the guys that run Isuzu trucks: I am lookig at getting an Isuzu box truck and I am leaning towards the 16 footer but an 18 footer would be even better. I went and test drove the 16' and it is an amazing truck! Well, I asked a friend of mine who runs one and he said that the 18' is on a longer wheel base and does not turn as sharp as the 16'. Can anyone verify this? I could live with a 16' but if they turn and handle the same I would be a dummy not to get the 18'. I will be putting a 60" lazer w/ UV, 48" WB, 2 push mowers, all the 2 stroke stuff, ladders, small generator ( or inverter ) & air compressor, porta pot, work bench, toolbox, & anything else I can fit in there. I will be adding a 36" WB in the spring. I assume all this will in there but you know what happens when you assume something : blob2:

2. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

i would go with the 18 foot. you can never have enough space.

we are considering buying an 18 foot flatbed with beavertail, and they say we can fit 2 60'' Z's and 1 48 WB, + all 2 cycle stuff, push mower, push blower etc. Box trucks are very nice for winterstorage and keeping equiptment out of the rain.

we have one 14 foot boxtruck and we can only fit 1 Z and 1 WB + all the other stuff mentioned, but in the winter all 5 pushblowers, 3 WB mowers and most 2 cycle stuff is stored inside and it is locked up nice and tight.

another advantage is it became a HUGE billboard driving around town. consider getting it lettered up very nicely.

As for the turning radius, i cant see that it would change it a whole lot, and unless you are mowing in really tight areas, it shouldent matter that much. either way its better than a big truck + trailer, which includes all the headaches of loading/unloading, and the learning curve to drive the rig.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think you will need the 18 ft for the portapoty and workbench. I think a 16 ft would accomodate everything else.

4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

thats a lot of stuff and ull prob. get more go with the 18footer hands down...whats the deal with the pot???

5. Tadams

Ya never know when ya have to go :confused:

6. Tadams

Lawnworks, I've seen your NPR and it looks nice! How long is your truck? Do you have any problems accessing your trimmers & blowers? Do you load the mowers up and then get the trimmers out or do you leave the mowers outside and then get the trimmers and load the mowers up after you have finished and ready to leave? Have you had any problems loading the mowers with the ramp? Sorry for all the questions but this is a big decision that I have to make and I want to make sure that I have all the information. Thanks.

7. Lawnworks

from usa

My truck has a 16ft box and a 4ft dovetail. My next truck will be a 12ft or 14ft. I like where our trimmers racks are and I think it works pretty well. The trimmers are accessible when the mower is in the prolocker, so wheneveryone is done w/ what they are using they just put it back. There is no certain order. I don't have any problems loading up any of the mowers or even dingos, small skid steers etc.

I would not want a 18 ft box plus a 4ft dovetail... no way. I would probably rethink the potty and work bench. We have no use for a potty in the truck, if we do, our jumbo cup from lunch usually does the trick. I also think it would be more productive to have ample equipment so you never need to work on equipment while your employees are on the clock. I even think you could probably get away w/ a 14ft for 1 48", 1 36", and a 60".

Our Dodge w/ a landscape bed is by far the most efficient vehicle I have. It has a 9' deck and a 4' dovetail and we fit a 36" and a 60" on it.

8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Before I bought my 16 footer Todd, I considered buying an 18 footer. After some soul searching, I decided that a 16 footer would have all the room I needed for what I wanted to do. For some outfits, the 18 would be better. I guess, it all comes down to what a guy is going to want to carry with him. I'll bet a 16 could carry everything you mentioned (except the work bench (I took the workbench out of my truck)). The smaller items like a camp-style portolet, generator and other smaller things would easily fit in the storage cabinet I made. My blower racks are on one wall and my trimmer rack is on the other wall. Inside the cabinet is seperate storage slots for several sets of blades, storage compartments for oil and fluids etc.. You could store your ladder on the ceiling. This should give you an idea of how much stuff you can fit in a 16, if it's layout is well thought out. With that said, depending on how big you plan on getting, an 18 footer might be better for you. Only you know the answer to that question Buddy.

I think you're definitely making the right choice by going with a box truck though. If I was going to keep mowing, I'd definitely keep the truck. It makes mowing so much easier. I'm converting over to fert/apps, so I won't need a truck to haul my mowing equipment around in anymore. I've always had plenty of room for everything I wanted to take with me. But that's just me though. My truck has 12 foot Handy Rams on it, instead of a beaver tail, so I don't have to worry about excessive rear end swing. For some people, rear end swing is an issue. Others don't seem to mind.

Vic

boxtruckpic4.jpg

Boxtruckpic.jpg

Cabinet.jpg

Blade storage.jpg

Blower racks.jpg

9. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a pic of the trimmer rack and eye wash station side of the truck Todd. This pic was taken before I built and installed the cabinet.

Vic

boxtruckpic21.JPG

10. Lawnworks

from usa

How much are you asking?