16 yo start up how often do i mow

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by spencerr, Jul 20, 2009.

1. spencerr

spencerr LawnSite Member
    from philly

the big guys that mow my block I beleive come around every 2 wks, but so many diffrent companies hard to keep track. im in philly I have 8 accounts on my street, problem is some teat their lawns in the spring and winter no weeds, so it still looks ok at 1 1/2 weeks, other have those high weeds at that timelooks terrible. im only charging $15 a cut. should i suggest they put down some weed n feed in the fall, or just cut more often for those that need it.

2. amp_driven

amp_driven LawnSite Member

Forget helping them with thoughts of weed control .Just ask if they want it cut every week and make your $$$$$$ Is $15 with a trim too ?

3. spencerr

spencerr LawnSite Member
    from philly

yes that includes a trim

4. TurfTrimmer 92

TurfTrimmer 92 LawnSite Member

Where at in Philly?? I live close and can maybe help ya out

5. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

If they are paying you $15 they don't care how it looks.

6. HappyGrasslawncare

HappyGrasslawncare LawnSite Member

$15 is way way to low man! you should be getting atleast $25 a lawn for maintenance.
    This time of season about every week, unless they ask for every two weeks its up to the customer. Good luck!!

7. Ryall Landscaping

Ryall Landscaping LawnSite Member

That's what I was going to say.

As far as how often to cut it..It depends on too many different things..Amount of rain, is the lawn fert'ed, etc. etc.

8. NatesLawnCareLLC

NatesLawnCareLLC LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Personally I think that as a small sole proprietor it is best to keep your clients happy. I was say if you don't need to cut it don't only cut them as needed, clients will respect the fact that you won't cut grass that doesn't need to be cut. However I would agree with everyone that you need to raise your price $15 a lawn. Gas is like $2.50+/gal?!?!

9. golfnpreacher

golfnpreacher LawnSite Member

I have a client for which I do 14 properties, mostly townhomes with postage stamp sized lots. For some of these it takes me more time to get the mower on and off the trailer than to do the work.

But for these lots, and my other small properties, I do Sept and lat Nov fertilizing for free. Also I do one in the spring as well. I do them fairly light and I can do them all with the "big bag" of Scotts. (For more traditional sized lots I charge for the service, but sometimes I'll throw some down for the first reason listed below.)

My thought is this:
    1 - Fertilizing and weed control extends the growing season, so it extends my pay.
    2 - Fertilizing and weed control make "my" lawns look better than the neighbors, which keeps the client happy with my services.
    3 - Fertilizing and weed control make "my" lawns look better than the neighbors, which is a selling factor for my services.

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

so you carry a pesticide license and give your service away?