Lawn Care Forum banner

16 yr. old starting lawn service

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DillonsLawnCare 
#1 ·
I want to start my own lawn service and try to get around 20-25 yards a week before school is out.

Is this a pretty good advertising method...
1. Ad in the classifieds
2. Every week go out early and put flyers in doors
3. put up flyers on high traffic roads

Another thing is that im kind of hesitint to buy a 2,000 mower because what my bussinuess doesnt take off like i think it should or somenthing like that.

last thing is
My dad wants me to keep my job at the golf course which i will till the end of the season but next season is when ill start. and he thinks its a bad investment to do so....how can i convince him to support me and help me finacialy

#2 ·
Welcome to the lawn business. I started at your age, and I'm thankful I started then and not now. Your 3 methods of advertising should help you get plenty of yards. You may not pick up as many during this part of the season but by the end of this fall and early next year, the calls should start rolling in. But that's not to say you shouldn't go ahead and start advertising now.

You'll be best off starting with used equipment, all for the sake of what you mentioned, if the business doesn't turn out to be quite like you thought it would. May need to start with a 21" push mower, weed-eater, and blower and you'll have to work hard but once the money rolls in, you'll become more and more motivated to work harder.

Getting in this business is NOT a bad investment. The good thing is, your young, and if you don't like this line of work, you can always move on to the next job. But I hope you stick with it for at least a year and give it a shot. I am blessed and my dad helped me get started. I also started mowing my grandmother's yard at age 16, with her 21" Craftsman, and she ended up paying me to do her yard (even though I did not want to charge her) and she gave me the push mower. I then realized I could go somewhere with this type of work. And now I'm here today. Good luck bro and I'll be praying that you dad at least helps you out financially. I'm sure you haven't had much of a chance to start earning/saving money. But this is a great way to start.

#3 ·
My son started our business when he was 14....that was six years ago. The business jumped from the very begining, I resigned from a company that I worked with for 23 years and we now work together as a family. The best advertizing he did was walk from door to door in the neighborhoods and give free estimates for cutting their yards. We still hear our customers talking about the "14 year old boy" coming to their door and asking for business. People are impressed with the personal touch and effort put forth to actually talk to them in a professional manner. He had more than 25 customers in less than a week.

#4 ·
My son started our business when he was 14....that was six years ago. The business jumped from the very begining, I resigned from a company that I worked with for 23 years and we now work together as a family. The best advertizing he did was walk from door to door in the neighborhoods and give free estimates for cutting their yards. We still hear our customers talking about the "14 year old boy" coming to their door and asking for business. People are impressed with the personal touch and effort put forth to actually talk to them in a professional manner. He had more than 25 customers in less than a week.
That's a great way to start the business! Sounds like you guys have a lot going for you. Glad to hear it. Keep up the good work and I hope you and your family continue to be blessed.

#5 ·
Maybe you should save the 2,000 if your gonna start up next Season ? Read all you can off this site it has some Great info. And some not so great.. What do go to school for ? Show Dad how motivated you are and dont disrespect him. Putting up the flyers and door to door is a great way to start.

#6 ·
Thanks guys for all the replys

I wont be able to start till next year because of school but im sure if i wanted to do this then they would let me start during school next year

Right now i have about 1700 saved for car insurance but i think i might work weekends and try to get in as many hours as they will alow me and try to save up to 2000.

Do you think that could buy me a quality riding mower ?

How did you do the hands on approach just walk the neighboorhood and if you see somebody tell em you'll do there yard for so many dollars ??

For my dad to be satisified with me doing this i would probley have to make atleast 200 bucks a week because that what i do now

Thanks again all for the support

#7 ·
I would start advertising for next year, get the customers and then buy the mower...or vice versa. I started when i was 13 and it was the best decision i have made in my life! Advertising is everything when you first start out! + making the few lawns you start out with look like a million bucks,(better than the neighbors. I have found out that in some towns it is a competition on whos lawn looks the best, which will benefit you very much. Good luck and welcome to working your A$$ of, but making alot of money while you do it!

#9 ·
Around late Febuary Early March my plan is to go out every weekend and put out about 500 a weekend and then once mowing season is here do it early in the mourning on some days i work and then on days im off too put out about 500 a week.

If i could break 20 i would be really happy.

I think one thing is that my dad doesnt know what kind of money is in it. I told him if i charged $25 bucks a yard I would only have to have 8 yards to break what i am now and that would be a min. fee. and he told me well nobodys going to pay $25 for you to do there yard....i laughed

Do you think that 2000 could buy me a good used zero turn

#10 ·
Sounds like your set on a zero turn. A walk behind will be just as efficient and be cheaper. Start off with a 36" that way you will be able to go through gates. In my area you can get a 36" walk behind belt driven for 1,000.

#11 ·
And no, I don't think 2000 will get you a good ZTR. A good used ZTR will probably be about 3500.

I just bought my Scag 1 month ago for 2400.

#12 ·
ok first of all, im 14 and i started mowing lawns last year. i had no financial support from my parents and for the first year i had to use a push mower and a tractor, and of course residential grade weedeater/blower. if i were you, i would find a $200 or $300 dollar tractor for sale in the newspaper to start off with, then get a push mower and blower/trimmer. this way you wont spend as much money and you'll be able to make more money over time and then the next year, buy a walkbehind, like mine( maybe not as big, but i found mine for like $1850). and if your going to buy one, then buy one around october-february. AND BUY IT USED! thats the offseason for purchasing mowing equipment. and dont base your yards on $25 dollars. all yards are different. i usually charge $50 an acre and so on. but do a great job and your customers will be calling you back time after time. and as for passing out flyers, your method works, if you can get around town with a trailer then advertise everywhere you can. what i usually do, is when its real hot outside, i go door to door with flyers on a FRIDAY night and ask people if i can cut their grass. they usually say yes because its the end of the week and all they wanna do is sit down on the couch with the remote. ............and no offense, but dont rely/depend on your parents to give you money. if you can make it on your own and save up on your own and show your parents that you are capable of making so much money, then you will gain lot of respect from your parents. but i could understand dad helping you get on your feet, but if you do borrow money, pay him back immediately. i hope my advice helped and good luck!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.