1600 sq Patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by scraper69, Sep 17, 2006.

1. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

Large job, was thinking of removing the concrete and excav, one side at a time, to avoid messing up the base with Oct. weather. 55x28 is a bit much to lay in one day without the proper labor (crew). Any suggestions or comments
    Its basically a replacement of Identical size and shape. Remove concrete and install pavers.

2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Take out everything and start from new. Base material costs about 10 cents a square ft. Why comprimise the work? for about 200 dollars in material and a half days labor?

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

^^^ There is nothing bad about going over existing concrete as long as it is in good shape!! I did a job with 2800 sq ft of ep henry tennessyson blue stone. 1800 sq ft was over concrete. The concrete was 12 years old and in perfect shape. Looked nothing like the junk you see poured today.

4. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

The main problem with goin over concrete is if the slab heaves. then so do your pavers.

5. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

I am removing all the concrete, just asked about laying one half at a time. If its all opened, and not all layed, then we get rain.. Tarped or not, the base will sacrafice. This job has to be perfect!

6. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I would do it all at once also. just make sure all the base is done in one day, so the soil wont get affected as much. The stone will dry fast if their isnt too much rain. The sand is a bigger pain in the hindend if it gets wet imo.

7. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Excavate and base in at the same time. When the time comes to lay pavers, only screed what you will lay that day.