16hp B/S Vanguard Carb (Leaf Vac)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Snyderserv5060, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

I just picked up a leaf vac (truck loader) from a company selling off what they had left before calling it quit. The unit is only a year or so old according to the owner and paperwork. However the unit did sit since last fall with fuel in it :nono: After a bit of fussing with the unit it started up ran for about 15 seconds and cut out.

I worked out a reasonable deal knowing what these units go for and will go for in a short bit when all the leaves are falling. Got it home and started to dissassemble the unit. Pulled the tank and drained it out. As I figured the fuel was not so great looking. Drained all of the lines and blew out everything really well. Took the drain bolt out of the carb since I did not see a carb bowl and flushed it out with carb cleaner and compressed air. Got it all together started up but it will not stay running with out engine starting fluid. Question is (since I know the actual engine block and head are running fine) do I pull the carb, dissassemble it and clean it or do I replace the carb unit itself? Ideally I dont want to invest too much in to this until I am sure its running 100%, hell the engine itself new does not retail for all that much new with warrenty. Let me know what you all think. If a new carb is reasonable I will just replace it, if its worth the time in this current carb I can do that as well.

The engine is a 16HP B/S Vanguard
    Model : 303442 Type : 1429-EL
    Unit is a Lesco LTL 160 Leaf Truck loader

Just want to get it all up and running for the fall

2. Snyderserv5060

Update/Edit

The engine is a 16HP B/S Vanguard
    Model : 303442 Type : 1429-E1 Code : 04032411

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, A new carb list at $155.00, A rebuild kit list at $41.95

I would pull the top off first and clean it out good spraying carb & choke spray cleaner with the little straw through all ports/passages and jets followed by air, You can get a top gasket list at $8.15 if it tears.

4. Snyderserv5060

Okay, thanks for the prices. I will start by pulling the top of the carb apart and cleaning it all out. Hopefully I can get it cleaned enough, dont really feel like replacing the carb.

Thanks again for your input

5. Snyderserv5060

Thanks again Restorob! I worked on it today as it was an ideal day to be outside and working today here in MD.

Pulled the carb off completely and took it apart. Cleaned it thoroughly with carb & choke cleaner. Replaced the fuel filter and put it all together. It fired right up and purred like a kitten.

I then ran out to give a job estimate and one of my workers decided to use the vac at my house to clean up some leaves, debris and apples that the bees are overtaking. After running for 10 min or so it cut out and only ran with the choke on (and did not run well). I then took it back apart and recleaned everything. This time I took cleaner through ALL of the lines and flushed the tank out again. The carb fuel intake tube (metal one) had rusty looking crap in it. After all the cleaning I put it all back together and fired it up. It ran great again...this time it ran for 30+ minutes until it ran out of gas :) Oh well I think its all set to be put to work. Thanks again for your input.

6. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

How much did you pay for this lesco loader?

7. Snyderserv5060

They were asking $1250 for the one purchased last season (newer one) and $600 for the one that was 2-3 years old. I was going to take the older one since I dont know how many leaf jobs I will have for sure and can always buy a bigger one in the future...HOWEVER as soon as I pulled up the **blank** informed me the $600 one I was going to look over/buy was sold. (I had been talking to them via email and phone friday & saturday, they knew I was coming out sunday in the AM and did not once mention it was being looked at by others... plus it was a distance to drive out there).

I kindly told them id look at the other but brought the funds for the cheaper of the two. Looked it over, its clean and all. However from sitting it did not start well...looking at it it was clear it was not very used. Made an offered , worked out $900. Figuring a carb was $100-175 and it would most likely not even need that I knew I could make it work to my advantage. I had just stopped in the local distributer the day before and they wanted $1500 for a used 11hp billy goat, plus the ebay prices on these are more then what I paid. All in all it seems to work well I just need to figure up mounting it and loading it into my trailer or spare truck. Luckily I have some time to toy with that tho. So to answer your question, $900 with everything as it sat.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No problem, Glad to hear it's ready to pay for it's self.

9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

You defientally made out on the price then. I can't believe he was selling one for $600. too bad he screwed you on that one.

10. Snyderserv5060

Yup, all I can say is it's a new(er) engine so it should...hopefully be trouble free and in service for some time to come :) Everything inside the head looks nice and clean as do the valve stems (from when I had off the intake runners to get that damn carb off, poor design to take it on and off).

Just need to get the owners manual from the previous owner (its being mailed) so I can get some of the specs & part numbers. I changed the plugs. I need to fine out how many qt's of oil it takes so I can change out the oil and filter before the season starts.