16hp briggs (bad starter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LAWNSURGEON, Apr 21, 2004.

1. LAWNSURGEON

LAWNSURGEON LawnSite Member

Recently broke the starter on a 16hp briggs, year 1995.
    Is there a way too get the starter off without takeing the hole thing apart. The one bolt you can get off with a socket, by the other seems impossible. Any suggestion pleae.

2. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I believe you are talking about a older horizontal engine ,you should be able to get the other bolt out with a wrench .i usually use a click wrench,some of the vertical engines esp on sears tractors you have to remove the engine or jack it up,hope this helps

3. LAWNSURGEON

The cover of the motor is up against the bolt, cant fit anything on it. The motor is on my scag walk behind. I was told 4hrs of labor to fix. $60 some dollars for starter, and $240 for labor.

4. Dave

from RI

Its hard to see it without a pic,if the blower assy is covering it ,it only has 8 1/4 bolts in it,2 on each side of the heads and 2 on the front and the back,and maybe you have to take the three screws out of the screen on top,even if you had to take the flywheel off which i cannot remember ever doing it should take no longer than a couple of hours and that is being generous,its hard to remember al the aplications as i screwed up with what I wrote before the horizontal were easier but it was the vertical engines that were easier as the starters on the vert engines are on the top

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean "broke the starter"? did the nylon gear strip out? They are hosing you unless the engine is installed on the machine in such a manner that it blokes acess some way. other wise its a 30 min job.

6. LAWNSURGEON

The nylon gear completely broke in three places, talked to dealer yesterday, instead of replaceing whole starter, there just replacing the gear, the gear is $8.00, and 1hour main. I feel much better now. In the future, if the starter does go, the cover ,the fuel pump, the flywheel screen, the flywheel, and the bottom cover would have to be removed, to get that other bolt. This brings me to my next question, is there a conversion kit to put a pull start on this engine. Thanks for everyones input. Problem solved for now.

7. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

yes there is a kit to do it but it's not worht the money

8. Dave

from RI

Sawman is correct it is not worht the money,the new nylon gear should last you a long time ,tell the dealer ,the gear is only worth a max of 4 bucks as they retail here in the north east for 3 dollars

9. flywheel220

flywheel220 LawnSite Member

Wow! In the southeast, a brand new starter gear is only $1 dollar.

10. The411

The411 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know where I can buy the starter gear for a 16 hp. Briggs they talked about here for a $1.00?? Rick

flywheel220
    LawnSite Member Join Date: Mar 2004

starter gear price

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! In the southeast, a brand new starter gear is only $1 dollar.