16HP Honda running rough, coughing & splutering, Blowing black smoke?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Dec 19, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I know this could be a number of things causing these symptoms. I just want an idea of what may be causing this to get an idea on the dollar damage its gunna take to fix.
    One of my guys was mowing in around 4 hour blocks on this mower with the Honda and it usually dosn't get operated in such long cycles. What got me was when I asked him how long It'd been doing this he said "Ohw around 1/2 an hour" I was Pi$$ed that he didn't shut it down as soon as it started playing up.
    So what may have been a minor problem could have become a fatal engine issue?................I don't know? It stil runs..........Just as I described in the thread title. It's just hit 220 hours.

Thanks for any help.

:drinkup:

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

what is it on?

3. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

I would guess um "Timing" Check the keyway also maybe he hit something and the flywheel is out of position just enough ??????????????

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Maybe the coil? Or the choke might be stuck on.

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Only 220 hours.... I don't know what it could be, it could be a multiple amount of things. I would be pissed that the operator didn't turn if off either! This may be one thing that I would take to a lawnmower shop to see if they can fix.

6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

It's on a GD Mighty Compact ZTR. It's a 42'' with tripple spindal setup. I don't think their avalible in the US?

Thanks for ya thoughts guys!

Just being so close to XMAS It's gunna be hard to fit it in to my dealers service scedule before the 10th Jan (It's the cutting season here) and It would be nice if it was opperational...........Not a complete nesecity but I have lots of jobs that are priced on the basis of running both the z's and I'm gunna lose alot of that all important thing.............TIME. I would like to think I could repair it (could be wishful thinking :rolleyes: ) But its gunna put a big dent in my tight scedule.

Yep!.................I'm gunna have a big talk to him on Monday about the equipment. I don't think he's been shaking my 2 stroke cans before filling either.............. :dizzy:

I'm guna go have a tinker this arvo and see what I can do.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

HAVE A GOOD CRISY AND STAY SAFE ALL!!

:drinkup:

honda 16hp.jpg

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Black smoke indicates a rich fuel condition. Check the carb for a stuck choke or float sticking. The problem is most likely in the carbureator. Good luck.

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Black smoke usually means it's running fat [overrich mixture]. To much fuel or not enough air. I have seen a dirty air cleaner do this.

9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I definitely agree with the last two posts - more than likely it's carb problem. Check that air filter - clean the carb and make sure that the float and jets are operating . I'd seriously doubt if any heavy damage has been done. You'll probably have to also take that spark plug out and clean it real well - I bet it's gonna be black as the night when you take it out - running too rich.