16HP Kohler Command won't turn over

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by genesis215, May 17, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

My 16HP Kohler Command won't turn over. I replaced the battery, and it still won't turn over. The lights work, but it just won't turn over. I have owned it seven years, and never had a single problem with it. I have the exact same problem with a 17HP Briggs & Stratton I/C Twin-Cylinder, it won't turn over either. Both mowers haven't been run for over a year because of this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to sell the mowers right away.

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

And the batteries are how old and last tested when?

3. genesis215

Brand new battery. Tested it in another mower and it worked just fine.

4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

What are these engines on?
    Does the starter solenoid click or any other signs of life?

5. genesis215

They are both on residential riding mowers that I need to sell now that I have a commercial mower.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It might be seized but not like due to low oil, just it has sat so long some part froze which is keeping the engine from turning.
    Not sure how to go from here.

7. unclelar41

unclelar41 LawnSite Member

You might pull spark plugs out and then see if they will turn over. Might have carbon or something else between piston and head keeping from turning over.

8. purplepalm

purplepalm LawnSite Member
    from palm,pa

This may be a dumb question, but is the starter engaging ? Or is nothing at all happening when you turn the key ? If there are no noises then you probably have a switch problem - ignition or PTO. If the PTO switch is on and the brake is not set, there will be no motion. If you have a meter, pull the wires off the PTO switch and check for an open when the switch is in the off position. The protection circuitry is a pain in the butt.

9. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Or........perhaps the battery ground cable is loose somewhere. Easy to check with a jumper cable connected between the battery's negative terminal and the frame of the mower. But be careful, of course.