16HP vanguard oil filter?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bunton Guy, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking for a cross reference of a filter I might be able to pick up at a auto store or wal-mart....the filters I usually use are Rotary brand from my local lawn mower shop and they sell for 6 bucks a peice...I would love to find something a but cheaper so I could change the oil more often.

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The "NAPA" 1034 will fit. I use it on my 20hp Briggs. It's double the size of the stocker.... More oil and more filtering...... GOOOD....................................

3. Bunton Guy

NAPA's site says its 6.58 for that filter. Thats a but more

4. Doc Pete

Since it's double the size and offers more oil for the complete system, you don't need to change as often. Also, at that price, it's the same cost as a large coffee with a Taylor ham and Egg sandwich. In other words, with a $1,000 motor at stake, $6,50 is totally meaningless, if you catch my drift. Just run the better filter and be happy;)
    Pete

5. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

I have an 18 HP vanguard and it takes the following:

fram--ph3614
    stp--3614
    ac delco--pf53
    lesco--ph2835
    motorcraft--fl793
    purolator--per241
    wal-mart brand--3614

hope this helps--mike

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I order all my filters thru filter1, if you order 6 or more, you get free shipping. Delivered to my place in about 2 days. Wix # 51348 for my 16 hp, Briggs $3.73 a piece

7. Doc Pete

OK, since I'm known to beat a dead horse;) , my point is the Napa filter is double the size for much bettter filtering and it allows more oil in the system which keeps the motor running cooler. And for $6, who gives a damn about pricing, especially when you're making about $60/hour.

8. Bunton Guy

Thank you mckell68 thats exactly what I needed. Thanks guys
    :blush:

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

NAPA's good filters, as long as the relief is the same and anti-drainback, I say go for it. I buy for 3 P/S fords, 4 mowers, cars, and compact tractors, I like wix and always order more then 6 so its easy for me.

10. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt LawnSite Member

NAPA filters are Wix filters rebranded. They are the same thing. A NAPA part number is a Wix number with the leading digit knocked off. So a 51348 becomes a 1348

Birken