17.5 Briggs OHV Popping

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Butch1957, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Butch1957

Butch1957 LawnSite Member

On my ryder I started hearing a loud BOOM / Backfire when I turn off the ignition key. I have recently replaced the inlet needle along with the bowl gasket & fuel filter and spark plug. Everything seems to be in tip top shape except now it is backfiring thru the exhaust when I turn off the key. I have already plugged in the two wires into the fuel solenoid but I cannot understand why I am now getting this BOOM ing noise when I turn off the key.

Any input please ?

Thanks.

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like the anti- afterfire solenoid is not working . Could be dirt/junk lodged up in it or could be a bad coil. Pull it off and plug it in and turn the ign. on. The needle should retract, but more importantly it should EXTEND when you turn the key off. Try cleaning with compressed air. If defective, it's a bit pricey to replace. Most people just clip the pintle/needle off, screw it back in and learn to let the engine idle down a bit to cool off before shutting down.

3. Butch1957

Butch1957 LawnSite Member

Thanks. If I cut the tip off and use it as is then will it still pop if I let it idle down first then shut off ?

Thanks for any responce.