17.5 hp Briggs engine quit.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Luvs2Play, May 11, 2006.

1. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

I bought my daughter a Crapsman mower with a 17.5 Briggs last summer. It quit running on her all of the sudden. Checked the spark, it was OK, replaced the fuel filter. It has compression, but starves for fuel. Starter turns fine, battery charged. It just won't start. Can't find anything wrong with the safety switches. Took it in for warranty, the one and only service department we have says they are at least two weeks behind. Are there any sensors on the carb or engine that have anything to do with fuel? I have never seen the mower so I don't know anything about it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Dave

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Without model and type numbers all I can do is guess. Most have a fuel cut-off solenoid on the bottom of the float bowl. Thats where I would go next make sure you are getting voltage to it and it clicks when the key is turned off and on. Then checking for trash in the float bowl, The carb. may need cleaning. Possibly a plugged main jet.

3. Luvs2Play

Thanks Rob, I do remember it is an I/C. As far as numbers, I have no idea. It sounds like it's not that difficult. Maybe I'll just pick it up and do it myself.

4. Luvs2Play

Thanks Rob, that was the problem, for some reason it came loose. I have not seen it, I was told that it may have come loose from vibration.