$17.55 /S.F. for retaining wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nac, Sep 14, 2004.

1. nac

nac LawnSite Member

I have a retaining wall job i have to do in NJ for a low income housing project.
    It about 10,000 S.F. total mostly 3 main walls long and tall and a couple smaller walls. Normally i get 20.00 a S.F. but this job somebody under bid so if i match the price it mine for 17.55 S.F. . The job calls for standard Versa-lock But I Can change it to Keystone if I want. I am thinking going with Keystone because it is 1 S.F. compared to Versa-lock at .75 S.F. so that a saving in labor. Also i believe i can get keystone delivered for about $5.00 ea and gravel for 13.00 /ton. So in the end material should cost about $6- $7 and labor is $11.55- $ 10.55 . I have a JD 250 skid steer, JD 160 excavator, Kom. PC45 Excavator and a large reversible plate compactor and unlimited use of the GC 5 Lulls on he job so i think there is money to be made. Any help will be appreciated

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

if you need the money do it!

Money is Money Right!!!! :cool2:

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

You didnt get underbid , someone may have bid less than you, now who that person is , that is the question. Did you see the other bid? Or is the contractor just telling you this. This is a common ploy among builders , lets see they are $ 2.45 per square foot less , times 10,000 sq feet , thats a $ 24,500.00 difference. Thats a lot to leave behind . I hear that someone is cheaper than me quite frequently , I simply tell the customer that if I was the lowest bidder , I wouldnt be in business long. There is a very good chance that the general contractor budgeted too low on his bid and needs the work done , he still wants to make his profit , he probably underbid a portion of the job and is trying to make it up somewhere .

4. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like this project might be prevailing wage. I would make sure you ask that question up-front. And, do not let the GC set your pricing. You set your pricing.

Peace,

Rex

LasVegasPavers.Com

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey nac,

Well figures someone would lowball like that 17.55 for this area. Anyways, if you think that you'll still come out on top doing it for 17.55 then I'd do it, but if your gonna be cutting it close or something I wouldn't chance the job, sure its a big job but why lose money. What town is the job in? Good luck with the job, tell me if you need any help.

Jeff

6. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Wow. I didn't realize retaining walls costs so much money/sq ft. Is $20.00/sf a common rate? If i remember right a drive or walkway is $2.50/sf am i correct on that or am I totally wrong??!

7. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

You way off BV, walls can go from $20-$25 per sqft. certain types of walls can be anywhere from $20-50 sqft. Walkways and patios go for aroun $12-15 sqft.

Jeff

8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, BV I think you moved a decimal point. Material costs alone are well over $2.50/ sf.

9. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

When you guys say $12 a sq foot, or 15 or 30 does that just include the labor?

Or does that include the prep work, materials, installation?

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Wow, that seems cheap. I live in La. (not the best economy) and I just had estimates for a wooden fence installed, and I got prices from $11.50/sqft to $25.00/sqft. That's just boards and posts, not lugging stones or something around.