17 acres of turf what would you do?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Mar 12, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

So I am meeting with a new prospect tomorrow 17 acres of turf. I have never done anything bigger than 3-4. If I get it I almost want to be standing there w/ shotgun in hand saying wheres my check--lol. No really.-
    Do any of you guys at a certain point say i need a check in advance or a deposit? When I used to do a chite load of hydroseeding i would have check in hand before i would even start the machine up. Advice anyone, yes i have contracts but those only keep the honest guy honest. If someone is going to screw you it just doesnt matter what you do.

2. humble1

from MA

i did say tommorow and all im getting is crickets chirping:rolleyes:

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Creech oughta be able to help you. He's said something about doing some pretty large commercial accounts before. I've never done anything that large. I'm about to do the largest one I've ever done tomorrow myself. Just under 3 acres. I priced it at $700 an app and the guy didn't bat an eyelash! You might PM Rodney.

4. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

make sure you get work then ask for a deposit, everything has gone up this year and buying for 17 acres is a little high. i would also expect full payment in 30 days no more. i fronted 55 acres last year and i am still getting paid, long time. luckily i had enough from others to cover bills.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Not sure about where you live....but here I don't have any worries with getting paid by for commercial work.

Most companies are very good at paying there bills especially is they are bigger.

They know you can give them a black eye if they don't pay you.

Personally, I don't ever ask for money up front, and I also don't do contracts!

If you need any additional info PM me.

RC

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

$233/acre!!!!!

Is this a normal price?

That is awesome!

That is good money!

I can almost promise you that I will never make that kind of money on that large of acreage!

I get about $100 less/acre then that.

7. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I also do some larger commercial properties- I have one that all 35Acres of turf gets fert/pm. I bill at net 15 terms. No "contracts" either.

Maybe it's a Midwestern thing-We're just a little more trusting:)

8. humble1

from MA

yeah you guys can do things on a handshake, out here you cant do anything on a handshake unless its family.

9. deere-man

deere-man LawnSite Member

dam it up and make a pond.

10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The last time I had to do an acre, I got $900 for 3 rounds. Round 1 was 100 lb urea, 50lb potassium nitrate + Feature. Round 2 was metsulfuron + Quicksilver
    Round 3 was Image + simazine.

I also had to wait almost 45 days before payment was submitted. Terms of payment were due upon receipt and I did not send the invoice until the last round was sprayed and weeds were dead. I still feel like a fool for not requiring a 50% deposit. Applied about $300 worth of chemicals and client gave me the impression that they would skip out on me. A contract was signed in my presence that spelled out scope of work and terms of payment. According to that contract, payment was 45 days delinquent. Wonder if it is time to require collateral. BTW, client was my former employer. I have the DOA certification, they don't. Not to mention, I have the spray equipment. What they call spray equipment is a hand can bought from Home Cheapo. Also, I highly doubt anyone there knows how to treat st augustine for weeds without killing it.