17 hp has me stumped

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by metro-hp_48, May 7, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Any mechs. want to kick around some ideas that may help a 17HP Kaw twin? PM me. (one plug still getting white with a quickness...... has to be something I'm not thinking about)

2. metro-hp_48

from TN

fixed........................

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

problem was????

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

First, let me say this is the first experience working on a Kawasaki. (owned diff. Kaws, but never had any prob. before)

It never occurred to me, that this 17hp twin would start and run so good, on 1 cylinder. I never detected any miss, much less a dead miss.
    Was only 400 RPM down, and with the R.H. plug turning white, in just a matter of mins., I figured it had to be sucking air, and would be the cylinder to concentrate on. Much less when pressurized, it did have air leaking around the intake valve.

Glad I took both heads off, since there was so much carbon built-up on both intake valves. ............if the R.H. plug had just been wet when I took it out, it would have giving me reason to check the coil on that side.

Knew something was wrong when I took the plug wire off the L.H. side, and it never started. Pulled the one off the R.H. side, and started right up and ran good......to 3350RPM.

Checked the new NGK plug....no fire. Then I knew to change the coil on the R.H. side. (glad I had bought a spare on my last j-thomas order. Like having spares, after I learned here that the Kaw. coils like to go out around 500 hrs.

Did everybody else know the Kaw Twins run so good just on one cylinder? New one on me. *65 Hoss mentioned it could be the coil....... I was totally dismissing that, considering. When will I learn to listen to him. [Thanks Hoss]

oopz..........

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

That is why I do a "balance test" on any twin engine not matter who made it. I have seen Kohler engines run just as pretty as you please with a dead cylinder. Then put them under any kind of load and they would stall out. Most of the time you will hear the dead cylinder but not always. That is why I made up a tester. The test I made is from an old 12 volt auto type tester, the type that looks like an ice pick with a wire. I took out the bulb and put in some aluminum foil in its place. I put the clip on the frame and ground out one side then the other side checking RPM fail off as I do. I got the idea for the tester from a Briggs Up Date School I went to. I use to just unplug the wires but that can be shocking.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Spark plug wire pliers will allow you to pull plug wires without getting zapped.

7. metro-hp_48

from TN

Need to get some.

Still can't get over how good it runs on just one cylinder.

Heard both coils need to be replaced at the same time, so I ordered another one last night.