17 HP Kaw FH500V, Govoner Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by deltafar, Jun 13, 2004.

1. deltafar

deltafar LawnSite Member

I have a 99' Toro Z Master 147 with a 17HP Kaw. The engine will not Idle. The motor sounds like it is over reving. I disassembled the throtle control and pulled the arm off the govoner. The Govoner don't appear to be working at all. The pin is missing. I can run the RPM up and the gov doesn't move at all. If I contol the throtle manually on the carb it idles just fine. I have adjusted the crab out of everything there and non of it seems to help.

If anyone has any ideas, Icould use them.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I recommend that you purchase a shop manual.
  3. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

the point is how did you adjust the crap out of it ,did you hold the thottle wide open with the nut lose on the arm the turn the shaft the same way all the way until it stops ,then tighten the nut up without letting go of the arm
  4. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

A governor on this type of engine tries to close the throttle as engine rpm rises. The spring that goes from the gov arm to the throttle control tries to open the throttle. High idle or up on the governor is achieved when both items balance out. I would disconnect the carb linkage from the governor, then push the gov arm as if it were opening the throttle all the way, have someone start the engine and control the carb with your other hand. Raise the rpms and see is the gov arm tries to move the other way, as if it were closing the throttle. If it passes this test the internal gov mechanism is working, if not the motor will have to come apart.
  5. shopbytch

shopbytch LawnSite Member

Even if you can't get the governor working-all is not lost. Mount a tiny tach somewhere and set the throttle to max rpm under load. I've kept a 20hp kohler going for a few months by changing the oil alot because the occasional over-reving tends to burn the plugs and oil----ain't exploded yet!

P.s. I had to add a linkage thing from the carb throttle to the governor to replace the spring