17 HP Kaw oddessy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Did you ever wish you could be mailed someplace? Well, I am wishing I could have ridden along for the ride that my new 17 HP Kaw is going on and it hasn't finished yet. All of the shipping information is from UPS tracking.

On Oct. 19 I ordered my new engine from Alamia.

On Oct. 20 UPS picks up the engine in one container and the muffler in another. Time in Denver: 8 hrs. 15 min.

On Oct. 21 the 2 containers left Denver for Burtonsville MD. which is about 25 miles from my house. Time in transit: 4 days 23 and 1/2 hours.

On Oct 26 both containers arrived at Burtonsville. Time in Burtonsville for muffler: 1 day 8 hours and 45 mins. Time in Burtonsville for engine: Who knows, it suddenly disappears from tracking.

On Oct. 27 the muffler arrived at my house. I didn't think anything of the fact that there was no engine. I figure it's not here because of it's weight and that they were delivering it by another truck or something.

On Oct. 27 my engine suddenly appears in Knoxville TN. Time in Knoxville: 1 day 5 hours 30 mins.

On Oct. 28 it departs Knoxville for Staunton (where?) Va. Time to move engine 300 miles: 2 days 10 hours 30 mins.

On Oct. 30 the engine arrives in Staunton (again I ask, where is Staunton?). At this point someone must have noticed that this engine has been taking an awful long time to deliver because instead of sitting in a wharehouse for more than a day... Time in Staunton: 1 hour and 11 mins.

On Oct. 30 it finally makes it's way back to Burtonsville. Time to move engine 250 miles from Staunton to Burtonsville: 3 hours 30 minutes.

So now my engine sits in Burtonsville (did I mention it's only 25 miles from my house). Who knows where UPS will send it next. If it's Disney World I wanna go with it.

2. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Ain't UPS GroundTrac fun?? :D

I do the same thing you are doing with your package. You know, analyzing exactly where it went and how long it took. I have found that UPS will usually ship the thing in an opposite direction sometimes just to get it to a major distribuion center. A little crazy, but hey what can you do?

Eric

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Now don't all of you one man show's want employees??? Just think they can ship an engine a fruit basket or anything else from Maryland to Idaho back to Maryland all because they didn't know what the heck they were doing. And who cares??? This is why the one man show will always survive!! I care about what I'm doing and I don't waste my or my customers time or money.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Richard, What did they charge you for shipping an engine?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Alamia picked up the shipping. I talked to UPS on the phone and they said it <b><i>should</b></i> have been delivered with the muffler. They said it probably never got out of the trailer at Burtonsville.