17 Hp Kawasaki Air Cleaner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsteveharris, Dec 30, 2000.

  1. jsteveharris

    jsteveharris LawnSite Member
    Posts: 37

    I have a Scag ultimate 48 hydro with the 17 hp
    twin kawa engine. The air cleaner stops up very quickly
    when i use my grass gobler. Is there any type of different
    air cleaner system that can be fitted to this engine?
     
  2. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 14,700

    I also have a 17 Kaw on my Gravely. I searched high and low for an alternative air cleaner and came up with nothing. Try covering over the top of the Grass Gobbler. It may reduce the amount of dust near the air cleaner.

    P.S. How is the market in Greenville? How much is your average cut? I am moving there in a couple of years (I want to be between Greenville and Washington) and I would like to continue with my lawn service there.
     
  3. jsteveharris

    jsteveharris LawnSite Member
    Posts: 37

    The market here is good. I cut only part time, but the
    average cut is about $35. There is a lot of commercial business out there. Washington needs someone good in that area.
     
  4. mowerman90

    mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,491

    I wanted to increase the air cleaner capacity on my 20hp Kohler and found the same problems as you. I came up with a solution by making my own air cleaner housing. I'm sure with a little fabrication it would work for your Kaw too. I removed the entire air cleaner housing and filter including the base plate that bolts to the carb. I then went to my local hardware store and purchased 1 Stainless Steel (extra heavy) 8" stove top burner cover. One section of galv 8" stovepipe. One 9" aluminum cake pan. A 12" length of 1/4 all-thread rod. Using the gasket between the carb and the old baseplate as a template, I drilled cut and filed an opening in the burner cover to fit on top of the carb. Then cut a section of stovepipe about 8" long and pop-rivited it to the burner cover. Then drilled a hole in the center of the cake pan and inverted it to make the top of my homemade housing after putting air inlet notches at the top of the stovepipe. The 1/4" allthread held the top cake pan in place with a 1/4" thumbscrew. I used an air cleaner that fit an 87 Buick 6 cyl Century which greatly increased the filtering area. I then fashioned a foam pre-cleaner to fit around that filter by buying 1/4 foam furnace filter media from Home Depot. Simply lay the filter down on it and cut to size with sissors then staple or glue the ends together (This also works for any filter, much cheaper than buying dealer pre-filters). Because the filter area is now so much larger it takes much longer for it to get dirty and if you replace or clean the foam pre-filter often you may be able to make the filter last up to 6 months in dusty conditions. My dealer didn't think much about it (cause he couldn't sell me $8 filters and $4 pre-filters anymore) but he did agree with me that it certainly filtered better than the factory setup. The whole setup cost about $20

    [Edited by mowerman90 on 12-31-2000 at 10:59 AM]
     

Share This Page