17 hp Kawasaki enigine leaks

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ryan Lightning, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

My engine is leaking oil from between the crank case and the bottum of the engine that bolts to the mower. It has under 300 hours, and no warenty. Is something I can fix easy? lol
    I have to mow alot of large lawns tomorrow, can I run it are will I cause more problems?

engine 003.jpg

2. Redneck'n

Redneck'n LawnSite Member

i would have to say run it and just keep a good check on your oil level...chances are that it will do just fine... but you need to take care of the problem pretty soon.. leaks never get smaller...

3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

tighten the bolts as you do the head and that should slow it for a little bit

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Id guess a blown crankcase gasket? Either that, or your oil filter is a little loose and making it look like it's leaking there, when it might just be slinging there. As for fixing it yourself.... not unless you are sure you will know where all the insides go after you take it apart. It'll cost you alot more to take it apart and then take it somewhere when you can't get it back together than what it would to just take it somewhere first.

5. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Id wash that engine up nice and clean and pinpoint where the leak is first. If you haven't already.

6. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same thing on a 14hp kawi and was told it was due to running sae30 for oil. That is what kawi specs. I'm in NH and was told by the shop 10w-30. As far as running it depends on the rate of the leak.

7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I did clean it and it is leaking from the crank case gasket. Ive ran 10w-30 Mobil one in it for the last 200 hours.
    chuckers, thanks for the tip, I got a few of the bolts to turn a little, and the leak wasnt as bad as yesterday, but it still leaks.
    I know the shops around here will take a week to fix it, I may have to order another engine. :( I thinking of getting a 19 hp instead of the 17hp.

8. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Should only be a little over $100 to fix (couple hours). Won't they (shop) give you a loaner if it's your only machine? Or just bring it in the night before service and have them do it first thing so you have it in the middle morning. Would it be worth fixing it before buying another engine?

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

My 17 Kawa was leaking out the top seal. Four new seals didn't fix it. Maybe the bearings, they said. Guess what? The Kawa twins don't have bearings, there's a bushing cast into the block. It's junk. No short-block kit avail.
    New engine, at less than 800 hours.
    I hope you get out of it cheaper than I did.
    On the other hand, I may have some parts you need in the future. I have the old engine. I just put a new head on it this spring...lots of other good parts, and my new engine is warrantied, so I shouldn't need them.
    Crawdad

10. shopbytch

shopbytch LawnSite Member

There's oil additives (around here called Lucas brand) that is thick gummy oil stuff, which works on minor leaks and tired engines but not dying engines :(