17 hp Kawasaki keeps running after shut off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ted5487, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ted5487

ted5487 LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 Ransomes BobCat with a 17 hp Kawasaki. It has a pull start not electric and has the key to turn it off. Recently after mowing when I shut the key off the engine will almost come to a complete stop, but then will start firing again, not completely running but enough so that it lasts anywhere from 5-10 seconds. I think that somehow that the engine is running in a reverse direction because it attempts to travel backwards if I let the pistol grips out into the forward drive position. (while initially if I shut it down and let the pistol grips out, it will travel forward, but once it begins firing again it travels backwards!) I am concerned because the sound it makes is disturbing, almost as though the engine is running without oil. I notice that it seems to do it more when the temperarture outside is hot and the machine has been running for a while.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I dunno what the problemo is but try hitting the blades when this happens. it should kill the motor dead.

GEO

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The engine is dieseling. That is there is a hot spot inside the combustion chamer that is firing off the air/fuel mixture without the spark plug. Let the engine sit and idle for a minute or two before you shut it off. Also try using a better, name brand grade of fuel. If it's dieseling it's also most like knocking while it's running and that can knock the edges of the crown (top) right off a piston.

4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I would agree with Richard Martin. It sounds like it is dieseling. I'm guessing that this engine has some hours on it and there are probably some deposits in the combustion chamber that are still glowing hot after you shut it off, causing the engine to continue to fire. Use a high octane fuel from BP or Shell because it contains detergents and burns cleaner and may help clear out some of those deposits from the combustion chamber.

5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

those kawi engines just want to.... keep going...and going.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is possible a shot of SeaFoam clears it up too.

7. ted5487

ted5487 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. I will try a higher octane gasoline and also let the engine run for a few minutes before shut down.

8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

Try B12 Chemtool You Can Pick It Up At Advance Or Autozone 7 Or 8 Bucks For A Pint Or So.it Is Excellent For Removing Deposits And Carb Gunk.