1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

17 hp Kawasaki rpm's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Apr 26, 2001.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I recently added an hour meter to my machine. It is the kind that justs wraps around the spark plug wire. It also shows rpm's, and it is showing about 3250-3300. If my memory serves me right, it should be about 3600. Can anybody straighten me out on this and how do I raise the rpm's. Thanks
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to check with the mower manufacturer-they specify the rpm's for the engine as installed on their machine.I think you should be around 35-3700-but I dont know for sure.I have a 16hp Briggs Vanguard on a Toro greensmaster that is set to 2850RPM's.that is it,it states all over the engine and throttle that 2850 is not to be exceeded or warranty void,on machine-not engine.My friend has the same engine on a 8Kw genset,and it runs at 3650 all day long.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same thing,do you have the twin cylinder kawasaki
    17 hp.On the 17 kaw motor I believe it is 3600 rpms.I purchased it new and seemed that I was having to double cut everything, I also had a hourmeter on it and that would be half. I took it to a mower repair and he checked and found out that it was 1200 rpms slow,this came from the factory like this. He adjusted it to right rpms, I would let a mower repair do it to make sure it is set right. my mower cuts a whole lot of grass now better. If you just want to do this,On the plate where the throttle cable goes in at carb, there is bolts loosen them and move the plate up tighten it and check it out. It will void the waranty if the rpms are set too high that is why I said to let a mower repair do it.

17HP kaws get 100% of their cooling air from the intake on top of the recoil starter.

If you get this intake blocked by leaves thatch etc the engine heat will rise so high as to distort the cylinder as no longer to be in a round condition and the engine will somoke and run like a pig the rest of its life.