17 hp Kawi- blown head gasket

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dfor, Jun 5, 2004.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

What would the symptoms be of a blown or cracked head gasket? Mine is 4 years old and is burning about 1/2 quart of oil in 6 hours running time. Blue smoke out of the exhaust, and some smoke from bottom of engine. Engine seems to run fine. Sometimes black smoke when engaging the blades. Could it be the head gasket.? Thanks for any help.

2. dfor

Anybody know if a crack in head gasket would cause it to use so much oil??

3. hc841

hc841 LawnSite Member
    from oh

it could be your head gasket but it would have to be leaking into the crankcase to cause any oil consumtion. if your can have a mechanic check the crankcase vaccum that will help narrow it down.

4. dfor

I can hear a "chirping" when I first pull to start it up. I think that is common for the head gasket. Here is a pick of oil on the outside. But it certainly is not enough to be 1/2 qt per day. Also, the right plug is a little more fouled than the right.

engine0001.jpg

5. chuckscar

chuckscar LawnSite Member

have a leak down test done it will tell were the leak is!!!
    your head gasket could be blown either externally or internally by the push rood chamber. and if the case it will suck oil like crazy

a leak down test uses air form a compressor it fill the cylinder at top dead center, it has a gage to tell you just how good of shape your engine is in. let say you have a very well maintain engine with 1000 hrs the gage should show you that you have ware but no much of leak. now bad engine rings shot air leak bad back in to crank case air come out of oil dip stick tube, and breather tube, bad valves exhaust air leak right out of muffler,
    intake valve air leaking coming back throw carb.