17 hp kawi ceased up today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, Aug 27, 2002.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Today while mowing the engine made a loud clunk and stopped. I can't even rotate the top cooling cover it is really ceased up. Mechanic agrees with the diagnosis. Have any of you had this problem with the 17 hp kawi. I checked oil, and it was fine. I'm not sure what happened. Has about 800 hours. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What is it in? Mower/deck size.
    Was it rapping or knocking right before?
    How often do you change you oil?
    How many RPM's do you turn?

Sounds like a rod. Did it poke a hole through the crankcase? Could have also been a crank failure. Either way, its toast. Start shopping for a whole new engine.

Fill me in on the above questions...
  3. bart may

from montana

Sorry about the spelling. It siezed up on me not ceased.:dizzy:
  4. bart may

from montana

It was on a landscaper supply( I know you probably thinking figures) 48" deck. It was knocking just before about 10 seconds before. It had been about 100 hours since the last oil change. I know that is a little long. It was really black though after I checked it. Don't know if something was going wrong in there for a while or what.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

100 hrs is a lot on a AC walkbehind!
    How many TOTAL hours on the machine?
    How old is the mower (years)?
    With the summer dust, I'd recommend 25 to no more than 50hr changes with a new oil filter each time!
    How often did you clean the aircleaner?

Of course the oil was black! Your engine just self destructed!
  6. bart may

from montana

The mower is 4 years old. cleaned filter at each oil change. I have a 20 kohler with 1800 hours and two with 900 hours and they run strong. Kohlers say oil change at 100 hrs i believe with oil filter every other time. I faithfully change them though at 50 with new filter. I don't use the "dead" mower that often so I suspect thats why it went so long without oil change. It doesn't have an hour meter so I'm guessing on hours. Regardless it Does seem premature compared to my most used mowers.
  7. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Ceased........siezed, Same thing. It's dead! Throwed a rod or crank. Be sure you keep the electronic ignition module before you toss it. Might come in handy as a back up.:)
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

too bad bud. this is why i never say never or always. there will be the exception. especially if u get to thinking its a sure thing. wait now i didnt say the words ,i wroteum.:D
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That sucks. Been there, done that. I was mowing on a hill with not enough oil in my reservoir and did the same thing. Always check the oil, and make sure it is full, not half, like I did. The only thing on my mower is that it's a twin so while one cylinder was shot I limped her back to the trailer.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to agrue with you Tommy but there is no way that engine should have seized up with only 100 hours on an oil change. Although going that far between oil changes isn't something I would do it should not lead to a seizure at those low hours on the engine.

I think something contributed to this. Were the cooling fins clean? Was the oil low? Was it being operated on a hill? What weight oil was in the engine?