17 HP KAWI hard to start but then runs perfect

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ky-lawn-guy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

I changed the oil and air filters and did routine maintenance to my 17 HP KAWI on my exmark TTHP the other night. The engine now usually starts fine the first time of the day but when it gets hot and I try to restart it I cant hardly get it to hit. Whenever I finially get it to start it runs absolutely perfect! What may be making it so hard to start now when it gets hot? I was thinking maybe something to do with the coil... ANY suggestions

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

How many hour on this unit? May need a valve adjustment V-twin Kawi are required every 300hrs. per. manufacture specs. ( cold .004"-.006" )
    Also make sure your choke is closing completely. Hope this helps:)

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Do you turn the fuel supply off while trailering the unit ? It could be bouncing on your trailer and flooding. A cold engine will start easier being a little flooded over a hot engine. Most coils when going out will start OK cold and drop spark after warmed up so I wouldn't think that being your problem.
    Next time it wont start right up remove the air filter and see if there is excess fuel in the air filter base.

Sorry MM, My Kawi. manual says .003-.005 [​IMG]

4. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. The engine probably has over 2000 hours on it and I have never adjusted the valves. The weird thing is that it has been working flawlessly until i changed the oil and filters the other day. When i changed the oil i went ahead and took the engine cover off and cleaned the grass and debris out with an air compressor. I dont think i moved anything or damaged anything. When i finially get the engine to hit it runs absolutely perfect.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you choke it once it is warm? If not give it a try. Also, I bet those valves need adjusting.

6. Restrorob

It could be just coincidence that it started the same time as the oil change.
    I have had customers drop units off and when I go out to drive it in the shop it wont start. I call them with the cause and they say it was starting fine when they dropped it off.

You may adjust the valves as MM said and see if that takes care of it, If not check for flooding as I suggested. If that is not the case I would go ahead and check for spark when it's at the point of hard starting.
    What is the exact Model and Spec. numbers on this engine ?

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

My single jug Kaw Starts, hot, much easier, when I throw on full choke, turn starter over, then, without waiting for engine to fire, take choke off moving throttle to about 60%. It fires instantly every time; no exceptions.
    When I do _not_ apply choke, Maybe it will fire, eventually, and maybe not.

8. Georgeharry

Georgeharry LawnSite Member

Restrorob,Would you please tell me what the valve adjustments on a 590v Kawasaki are?Thank you Georgeharry

9. Restrorob

If this is a FD590V then it would be (Believe it or not) 0.001 for both intake and exhaust at TDC compression stroke on each cylinder. Watch the valve movement to verify compression stroke. Then you can use a small screw driver inserted in the spark plug hole to verify TDC.

10. Georgeharry

Georgeharry LawnSite Member

Thank you Restrorob. Georgeharry