17 hp kohler dieseling

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by X-mow, Jul 2, 2003.

1. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

I've got a 17 hp kohler engine on a dixie chopper , sometimes when you turn it off it kinda acts like it wants to keep running. Somtimes it sounds kinda like a diesel for a second.Is this normal for kohlers or is something wrong, if so what? thanks for any help.

It does it more after running for awhile like 1 hour or more especially when it's hot out it's been in the upper 80's lower 90's here lately.

2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Just an idea. Try shutting your motor off at half throttle or faster. Something about Kohlers not shutting the gas off to the carburator when they are idling and then turned off. This came from kohler themselves as my engine would backfire a lot when shutting it off at an idle. Started turning it off at half throttle or faster and problems disappeared.
  3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like your carb is running a little rich.
  4. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

thanks for your help guys.
    This is what someone from Kohler replied to the same question:

Thank you for your inquiry. The carburetor on your engine is equipped with a fuel shut down solenoid. When you turn off the key, a plunger in the shut-down solenoid closes off the main jet and shuts off the flow of fuel to the carburetor venturi. When the key is turned off at an idle, the throttle plate is closed and there is a vacuum built up in the intake manifold and carburetor venturi. With this build up of vacuum, the fuel is still being drawn past the solenoid plunger allowing gas to enter the crankcase and muffler and continue to fire until the engine eventually stops turning over. If there is a hot spot inside the combustion chamber or muffler you will have run on or a backfire.

When you turn off the key at 3/4 to full throttle, the plunger in the solenoid will shut off the flow of gas to the venturi. Because the throttle plate is open, you will only take in clean air with no fuel mixture. This air will not fire because there is not fuel in it. Some other causes of run on are a hot spot on the sparkplug tip or an altered fuel composition. I have changed gasoline brands with some success in the past. Please let me know how this works out and of course if we may be of any further assistance in the future. HANK
  5. Erickson Lawn Mowing

Erickson Lawn Mowing LawnSite Member

My 27 horse does the same thing if i dont let it sit and idle after running hard for long periods of time books says let it idle bout a min for every hour run. Works for me and it even stops that little backfire thing the do too. Try it and see if it helps ya.
  6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Shut it off with the throttle wide open, don't idle it down to take the cooling air away from the engine. The only thing that gets cooled down when running at idle is the muffler, not the engine.
  7. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

try shutting the engine down at half throttle...... I run kohlers on all of my Walkers and experienced the same problem......and this solution worked well.