1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

17 HP Murray won't Run

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by homer12, Nov 10, 2006.

1. homer12

homer12 LawnSite Member
    from m tn

I have a 17 hp 2004 murray, I washed it down for winter storage, then I started it and run it for 2-3 minutes turned it off and let it set in the sun to dry before putting it in storage for the winter. After about an hour I tried to start it, but it would only run for about 1-2 seconds then stop, after 3-4 tries it would not start at all, I can prime it and it will run until the prime is gone and it stops. I drained the gas tank and cleaned it put in new gas and still have the same problem, it will run for the duration of the prime then stop. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be, other than the fact that it is a murray.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If it's a 17 horse, it's probably most commonly a Tecumseh.

Also, to the original poster, if you washed the engine down and you have a top vented fuel cap (little hole in the top), then it may be possible that you got water into the gas and then when you started it, took the water into the carburetor. Draining the gas tank and putting new gas doesn't do jack diddly if the water is already sitting in the carburetor.
  4. homer12

homer12 LawnSite Member
    from m tn

It is a Briggs & Stratton 17 hp engine

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

First thing take the bottom bowl off the carb for water to escape,and try a new set of plugs.
  6. homer12

homer12 LawnSite Member
    from m tn

Thanks for all the help.