17 kaw 52

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by JKOOPERS, Oct 6, 2004.

1. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

my tthp has a 17 hp kaw and it is a real pita to start. i have adjusted the choke 6 times changed the spark plugs still no luck. what else would you suggest to get this problem fixed. its been like this since i bought it.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jkoop,

I'm not sure which style of Kawi engine you have or how the trottle/choke controls are set up.

Can you tell me if you have a pull cable for the choke mounted in front of the fuel tank and a seperate throttle lever mounted in the console or do you have the throttle/choke on the same cable mounted on the console?

Also is the air filter cover held in place with clips or with wingnuts?

Thanks

Terry

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

throttle and choke on the same cable. air filter cover held in with clips

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jkoop,

It's possible you have a carburator issue but typically with this model it ALWAYS comes down to the choke adjustment. The choke must completely close on the engine for it to start properly. If you are confident the adjustment is correct and it still isn't starting on the first or second pull I would remove the aif filter and have a buddy place something of the the opening to the carburator ensuring that it is completely sealed. If it starts you know the choke is not adjusted properly. If it doesn't then you probably need to get it into the dealer for inspection.

Thanks

Terry