17 kaw recoil

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by scottishmaximus, Apr 6, 2004.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hi, I hope all is well with the eXmark crew.

I have a 48" tthp with a 17hp v twin Kawasaki. I got an enclosed trailer and would like the rope start to be on the other side. I cannot rotate the starter and my starter only has one hole for the rope to come out. I saw an older 17hp that had three holes for the rope to come out. I think that this would work great. My dealer seems to be having a hard time figuring this out. Do you know a part number for the different starter, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Scott,

We don't have a parts breakdown on the older Kawi's here. Your best bet would be to have the dealer call the Kawi service center for the correct part number.

I'm guessing that the recoil you saw may have no longer be available due to some durability issues. One other thing to consider is that the recoil is placed in the current manner as a safety precaution.

By moving the recoil the operator may be placing himself in a position where he/she could be near the discharge or must lean over the machine and could possible create a situation where a foot or hand could be placed in an unsafe position. The machine is built with a safety system that prevents the mower from starting if the blades are engaged. If however this were bypassed or malfunctioning you could be putting yourself in a situation you would rather avoid.

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Terry

3. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Follow-up:

A dealer found a "ring" adapter that allows a round recoil housing to rotate. It works great. The rope now pulls next to the parking brake handle. The brake has to be on to start (in some ways a plus for safety). The only downside that I see is having to reach over a little bit to the choke, but not that big of a deal. I no longer hit my hand on my trailer walls when starting so I'm happy.

Thanks for your help,

Scott