17 kaw smokes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curlawngreen, Aug 6, 2000.

1. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

My 17 Kaw. smokes (white) sometimes. Oil level is a little below full. Any ideas Thanks TIM.
  2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

White smoke sometimes means water is in the fuel or combustion chamber. I would drain the fuel tank and refill with fresh fuel.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes Kaw and Kohler engines will release a cloud of smoke (oil) when the throttle is brought up from an extended idle. This is usually due to 2 things. First is being overfilled with oil. You say that the oil is a little below full but are you checking the oil with the engine level? If the engine is tilted downward away from the dipstick tube you can have too much oil in the engine despite the dipstick reading that the level is correct. The second is letting the engine sit on a hill/slant sideways with the carburator being on the downward slant. This will allow oil to be sucked into the engine breather tube. When you crank the engine up from an idle to full RPMs it sucks the oil out of the breather tube and you get a cloud of smoke.
  4. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

I did find oil in carb bowl before. I thought (this is when I get in trouble) that it must have been a fluke. More help appreciated. I am an R & R man. Thanks Tim
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had a 17 Kawasaki on my Deere walk behind. If I tilted the deck back too far , when changing the blades, I would get a white cloud of smoke from the exhaust.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

That happens on my 21" push mower with a Kaw. too.
  7. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed the same on my Exmark Turf Tracer the first time I changed the blades. I tilted the thing *way* back to get under it real well, then it smoked like crazy next time I started it. Since getting the Jungle Jack for it, I've had no recurring problems of that nature...