17 kawasaki recoil

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by scottishmaximus, Nov 30, 2003.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hi there. I have had my tthp48 for a little over a year now and it has been virtually trouble free. Thank you for that.

The recoil on the 17hp v twin kawasaki engine broke the other day. The rope snapped and the hook on the spring straightened and bent the tab that it connects to. I was wondering if this is that common of a problem with these engines. Is the recoil covered in a warranty? My guess is no since it is a high wear item.

I thought i would buy a spare one in case of another breakage. Is it possible to just buy the pulley piece with the spring, or would I have to buy the whole recoil?

One thing that I do not like about the recoil on this engine is that the recoil can not be rotated to allow it to be pulled from different sides. This might be valuable to some trailer set ups. I know you do not make the engines, it's just an idea. Thanks for any help

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Scottishmaximus,

Thanks for the post.

We don't see nearly as many recoil issues as we did at one time. When the Kawi twin first came out they had some minor issues with the recoil but rope life was pretty good.

I'm not sure if the recoil would be covered or not. With your serial number and purchase date your dealer should be able to contact Kawasaki and find out if it is or is not.

As far as the placement we have discussed this with Kawasaki and time will tell if they are able to make a change there or not.

Thanks

Terry

3. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

on my 17 horse kawi i can switch it to either side i thought you might be able too . also you probally can just buy the spring as i have had to buy this very part before

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Boturf,

It's been a while since Kawi made any changes to the recoil on the twin cyclinder engines. I don't believe anything they've built in the last couple of years can be rotated. As I recall the bolt spacing is diferent between the front and back mounting locations which prevents rotating the assembly.

Thanks

Terry