17 kawi motor problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BufalinoLand, Oct 29, 2007.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

have a 17 kawi with 400 hours on it

ran like a cat all summer till the other day

fouling plugs

sputtering

cant get it to run right

valves aok

tore carb down

its a macunie carb

i heard to throw them away when they act up

thanks for the help

2. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

i had one doing the same thing. i replaced the engine....

3. sines of lawncare

sines of lawncare LawnSite Member

throw the engine away or the carb?

4. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but it seems you've posted in the wrong forum. Regardless of that, i hope you get your engine fixed soon. I think your best bet though, is to replace it.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Dang !!! :dizzy:

Don't go throwing ANYTHING away until it's deemed junk. I have never had to throw one of these carbs out.

The carb sounds like it's running too rich (flooding).

Tear the carb down and spray all ports/passages and jets out with carb & choke spray cleaner with the little straw and replace the float needle valve.

Clean/flush the fuel tank and lines, Replace the fuel filter and spark plugs.

6. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

listen to restorob....hes the man....i bought a new engine because i am not a mechanic and the mechanic that looked at my mower told me it would be like 1200 dollars to fix....i have my old one for sale if anybody wants it...i will ship it to your door.

7. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

check valve adjustment.

8. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

The first step should be to check the air filter then the choke linkage. Does this engine use an integrated throttle and choke on the same lever?

Scott

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with restrorob, but leaf has the right idea: Air filter clean?
    What about the inline fuel filter?
    Replace both of those if not sure, if it still don't run at least that part of routine maintenance got done.

If you still suspect the carb, a thorough clean (flush) with some carb cleaner might do it.
    Use solid amounts, then wait a bit (4-5 minutes), then the best way (watch your EYES) is compressed air but you can also flush it back out with more cleaner, then let air dry. If you've gone this far you might consider, if you can, pull the bowl and inspect the float, also clean all that real good (carb cleaner) and don't forget to check the jet from bowl-to-carb, spray through that once or twice.

Make sure, careful with your eyes in all of this, goggles a must.

10. outdoorpower

outdoorpower LawnSite Member

the choke is adjustable on those engines,is the engine smoking? if so what color. If it is definately a flooding issue, thoroughly clean the seat replace the seat, and shake the float in your ear to see if any fuel is inside, it is uncommon on those engines and plastic floats generally, but I have seen a few