Lawn Care Forum banner

17 year old starting with bare-minimum

8K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Darryl G 
#1 ·
I'm 17 years old and I'm from Massachusetts. I just recently started mowing my mom's friend's lawn every week for some spare money. I got 2 walk-ups my first day mowing the grass. One was for a spring clean up and the other just for a cut. One week later I have acquired 2 more biweekly contracts. None of these lawns are very large. At the moment I have my 1995 f250 8ft bed, a ****ty wooden trailer, a 21" toro push mower, a kombi weed whacker that my grandpa gave me, an old stihl handheld blower, and some tools (shovels, rakes, etc.) I am making some money now but using this push mower takes some serious time. I can't fit these into a day after school. I have been trying to do them all on Saturday but have been doing mulching and other odd jobs for family for some spare cash. My question is when would buying a walk behind mower such as a scag be justifiable. I want to buy used because there is no way I can afford a new one. I also want a 36" because gates are an issue. I have made a little over a $1000 total so far. Also is there any brands that are cheaper than a scag but will still offer better cutting than my push mower. Also how much should I spend on one? I plan to try and grow this business. I am getting business cards made and made my own t-shirt with an iron on transfer at home. Any other tips on just starting out will be much appreciated!!! Also, down the road I would like to buy a ploy for my f250, do you think it is worth it? I have heard mixed answers.
Thanks
Brett

See less See more
#2 ·
Good for you Brett. Stay with it and by the time you're in your mid 20's you'll be able to run the business instead of mowing every day, if that's your goal...both are good depending on what you want.

I would wait until you have at least 10 weekly accounts. Reason being is by then you'll be making decent money especially being only 17 years old. But I would wait until you had 10 weekly's and then buy a 36" belt driven walk behind. Check craigslist...a decent, used 36", I wouldn't pay more than $1200, that's pushing it. You'll find a good deal just be patient and don't buy the first thing you see until you look at a couple more too.

The plow question...I think it's a good idea, but again, I would wait until you have more like 15-20 snow customers. If you have any less than 15 I would buy a single stage snowblower. Single stages have rubber paddles instead of the 2-stage augers...and the rubber actually sweeps the ground so you get a cleaner look. Plus a single stage is so light you can pick up and throw in the back of your truck. An average driveway with an average storm, 4-6 inches, wouldn't take you more than 30 minutes and if you charge them around $30 per snow event, you're making a decent hourly wage there.

Any other questions just ask...welcome to the industry buddy.

#4 ·
hey brett! I'm a huge fan of Craigslist for getting yourself a walk behind. I picked up my first walk behind last season for $500, and they help. But don't get rid for your little one when you upgrade, because there is landscaping (atleast around here) that I can't fit my 36 inch by.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
I very strongly recommend exmark and scag, I have run both of those and I own an exmark metro 36 inch that I have fully redone. But for smaller mowers, I would say look into a bravo 25 inch and an exmark metro 21 or 28 inch. I would stay away from buton, that's about it. I really just don't like them at all, they don't seem to work well for me, the hydros go out, the controls are slow to responding, they just don't work for me. And for zero turns go with scag.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
Welcome to the industry Brett! You're young and it sounds like you are a serious worker cause you didn't complain about "the work" at all...as the one guy told you, when you're in your mid 20's you can literally be running the show and making some REAL NICE cash!

There's NOTHING that YOU CAN NOT do...just BELIEVE that!

:weightlifter:

#11 ·
I m same age as you. Go with scag but my 36 dont fit in gates so maybe look for a 32 scag.
I would DEF back that! Scag is an excellent brand (just my opinion) Thing is I have a Snapper Pro Express 36" (used) and it fits thru your standard gate without a problem...wonder if the Scag 36" is wider on the outter edges and I live north of you in Central NJ.

#12 ·
+1 for a 32. I have a 33inch Billy goat. It is between residential and full on commercial. It works perfect for my 16 lawns + few randoms and plus family houses. I do 400+ a year. There is a new company called world lawn cheaper then scag but built in america and look fantastic. My lawn shop has them and I got to try them out and they are cheaper but still look and feel tough

#14 ·
Go with the scag that's the first mower I started out with commercially and all we use now, their built the toughest and won't let you down.
What's your take on Husqvarna? I hear they are pretty badass and a major player for one of the best.

#15 ·
my 33" Troybilt was $500 with foam filled tires. It doesn't stripe that dark but they last. Its easy to work on, easy to get parts for, big enough to be efficient and small enough to load easily in my truck.

Theres several brands that make the same mower, cub cadet, troy bilt, MTD etc.

#16 ·
I would recommend to start watchin craigslist now, cuz a deal may pop up that u can't pass up. Only buy right now if u find an awesome deal. If u start watchin now it will also give u an idea of what the different mowers r going for, so when u r ready to purchase u know abt what ur gonna pay.

Old Toro ProLine is a good walkbehind that I use. 2 seasons ago when i started i got 36" Toro ProLine for $625 with bagger. This is my 3rd season & just upgraded to 44" Toro ProLine for $700 without bagger. Bagger I have fits both. Also picked up a 44" for parts $100 (deck was rusted out & motor was shot). I have 25 clients & only 1 has fenced backyard & my 44" fits with 6 inches to spare. But still have the 36" for backup or if i get a gate that 44" won't fit through.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
Do you guys think that it would be better investment if I bought a new Honda 21" instead of a used 36" or 32". The deck on my 21" Toro is rusting and I don't think it is going to last much longer. I also got a contract in the wealthy part of town with large lots. So that might change the decision... Anyways, Thanks!

#20 ·
Get a timemaster for now. I have cut 40 lawns with mine in the last two weeks with no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have heard lots of complaints about the cut quality of the Timemasters and someone put up some pictures and it was clear what they were talking about...the cut quality was horrible with their machine. Are you having trouble with your cut quality? What kind of grass are you cutting with it and at what height?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.