17 years old, with a 4 year business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AndyTblc, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Hey how's everybody. I'm 17 years old, 18 December 29th. I started about 4 years ago cutting grass for other people. But I was on my dads tractor long before that. I started off with a 1984 John Deere. I got my first job at the local VFW. And I still do today. And it started off from there. People let me use their stuff here and there. My great uncle who passed away (finnally) bought me a commercial weed trimmer. Then he said I could have his commercial edger as long as I worked it off. So when people seen me doing it I got more and more jobs. I did loose a few, but what the heck. Then when my uncle got his leg cut off, I took his handheld blower. He gave me his 2 push mowers. I bought my self a top of the line stihl BP Blower BR 420 magnum. Then just this past year, Stihl came out with brand new BR 600. So I traded mine in for that. Then in September I bought my self a 2006 simplicity Regency. 24hp 50" deck. I use our old 1996 mini van and my uncles 6x12 landscaping trailer. It works Ok, I don't want to use my 03 avalanche and get it beet up. So I think I'm going to trade in my van for a 96 3/4 ton chevy from my uncle. Plus my avalanche and my dads Hummer H2 won't hold a lot of stuff in the back. So I think I'm off to a pretty good start, I am going in partnership with a person loosing his job after about 30 years of working at one place. He has more equipment, so I look forward to that. What do you guys think.

2. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

I think that you dont have much of any idea on how to run a business

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I admire your dedication, but there's so much more to running a business than anything a 17 year old, or most 27 year olds, could possibly understand well enough to stand in a cut-throat business like this.

These young men you see on here are not doing as well as they want you to believe. Trust me on this one: if you're still young enough to do something else with your life...do something else. Go to school and get a degree in business. I bet your professor will have better idea than landscaping or lawn care.

4. AndyTblc

Why do you think that I have no idea how to run a business. People always say that I do the billing, cuttings and estiments like how the big guys do it. I keep track of how much I make. Who I owe money too, and who owes me money. I have statments that look like how the big guys do. I get a lot of compiments. And I am very pro about everything. People call me up. I talk to them about their lawn. And I give them a price. And so on. How do you think I don't know how to run a business. I'll admit I don't do as well as the other people SAY they are doing. But I do this for fun, and for something to do.

5. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Howz about this for being 18, 32 weekly customers and going to college to be a landscape technician. I'll keep holding it down in landscaping and snow, what other businesses are out there that rely on you 365 day's a year.

Keep it up there buddy, but I don't think you'll ruin your avalanch though, I usually just put everything on my trailer, nothing touches my truck. It would look alot more professional than some clown running around in a mini-van

Picture 064.jpg

6. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

You don't look at the lawn first? Just give estimates over the phone?:confused:

7. AndyTblc

I'm not that stupid to just give estimates over the phone. I go there right away when they call. As soon as they call I try to go right over there to make a good first impression. And I'm going to by myself a 3/4 ton truck for doing all my work, and stuff for next season. So I won't be driving around in my mini-van.

8. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

What kinda truck you plan on getting?

9. AndyTblc

I am buying it from my uncle, so I know where it has been. It is a Red 1996 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 W/T, Extended cab long box, witha 350 engine.

10. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Look up some of my pics...Im only 20...and you really should be in this business unless you have more experience, I go to school for horticulture and could out sell a lot of guys around here by just the knowledge I have gained in school. How did you get the avalance? rents buy it for you?
    James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.