1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

17 years old, with a 4 year business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AndyTblc, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeltaLawn

DeltaLawn LawnSite Member

More power to you! Check the country club and see if they have an opening for Golf Course Superintendent. I was reading something just recently somewhere about the head super at a country club in Texas who started off when he was 11. The funny thing about the article is that it listed about 200 different skill requirements to get to where he is today...

I'll have to find the article next time I'm in my "other office" cuz the list is laughably long.
  2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Umm, I didn't want to spend $5,000 on a new walk behind, I could have spend $3500 for a little 32" exmark, but thats too small, and I like sitting down, because I do big lawns. And I'm getting a truck in march. Now that I can afford it. And I know what looks retarted, there is one lady that does lawn cutting with her husband sometimes, they have a old beat down truck, with an old snapper, a toro t-bar, an old walk behind blower, and old trimmer, and old back pack blower probly as old as they are. Now that looks retardedly redneck.
  3. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

ug, i wish my parents would buy me a truck/equipment. Funny thing is, most people dont believe that I alone have paid for EVERYTHING.
  4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

If your parents pay for your equipment then you wouldn't have "built your own business" and you would be far less proud of yourself. Good job for staying committed.

We built our business with a $10,000 loan, $60.00 in flyers, and a lot of hard work. It pays off in the end.
  5. AndyTblc

They bought me an avalanche, that is my everyday to school and joy riding vehicle. I'm buying my own work truck with my own money, I bought my tractor with my own money, and my back-pack blower. I inherited an edger, weed trimmer, and 2 push mowers. I got that when my great uncle died. Anything that has to do with lawn mowing stuff, I pretty much buy what ever more I need. But my parents do buy my gas some times so I can cut the grass here at my house, but other then that I pretty much pay for my self.
  6. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

But you can't pay for gas! Hows that work?
    So in 4 years you have only accumulated 9 clients. What that, 2 clients a year! Your off to a great start:clapping: :clapping:
  7. AndyTblc

9 perminent, but every week I end up doing more then that. I just got a few calls the other day saying that want me to come and look at their lawn. And I'm still in school so I don't want lawn mowing to interfier with my school work and my personal life. And what do you mean how does that work, I don't pay for gas. Of course I pay for gas, I pay for all my equipment, not my vehicles. So is there anything else that you would like me to repeat again?
  8. DeltaLawn

DeltaLawn LawnSite Member

Found the list in my truck today. Here it is... also found at http://www.clubandresortbusiness.com/article/240

Ready... hold your breath and read this...

Today's golf course superintendent must possess a certain amount of knowledge and expertise in the following subject areas:

Aquatic plant management
    Basic contract law
    Business management
    Community relations
    Equipment repair
    Environmental compliance
    Facility maintenance
    Golf course operation
    Golf course renovation
    Golf course set-up
    Golf issues
    Government relations
    Hazard communication
    Integrated pest management
    Inventory management
    Irrigation repair
    Labor relations
    Long-range planning
    Master planning
    Mower adjustment
    New equipment evaluation
    Rules of golf
    Personnel management
    Plant nutrition
    Plant pathology
    Plant physiology
    Playability issues
    Play of the game of golf
    Public relations
    Pump station technology
    Soil chemistry
    Soil physics
    Soil sample interpretations
    Technical information interpretation
    Tournament preparation
    Water chemistry
    Water quality
    Weed science
    Wildlife management
    Worker safety (OSHA)

:cry: GASP!
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Cutting grass looks like great money at 18, but in the whole scheme of life, it sucks. I did it for 6 years, made some money, then got out. I was doing lawns for $30 that guys would come in and do for $15. Can't compete with the illegals around here. I understand that there are parts of the US where the really big guys do very well and are paid for their knowledge and expertise. But, you have to be damn smart to get where most of those guys are. Cutting grass gets really old after a while, I just couldn't see myself in this business when I'm 40.

I got into excavation after I quit lawncare. Investment is greater, risk is greater, but $1,000 a day sure beats the pants off cutting grass. Go get an education, don't stick around after you graduate high school to cut grass. I didn't and it was the best decision I ever made. However, I agree if you're not the type to go on for a college education, cutting grass is probably better off than working at a grocery chain or something like that making maybe 10 bucks an hour or less. But, an education is your best bet unless you get into a field that is fairly skill oriented. Let's face it guys, mowing is not complicated, just about anyone can get into the business and put up a fight against you. Excavation is kinda the same way, only the guys that suck usually don't get called, they get themselves killed, screw something up and get sued, or simply accumulate massive amounts of financial distress. When the stakes are higher, it keeps the morons out.
  10. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

You seem first class. If I was a millionare with a delicate lawn, I would certainly hire you....:rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.