1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

$17000 a good trade in value on a 04 f250?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by S man, Mar 3, 2009.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 04 f250 diesel with 61k and really don't need it. I was trying to sell locally but I didn't get any calls. Today I went to a ford dealer and they said they would give me $17,000 for it on trade in for a new 09 f150. Does that sound like a good trade in? I paid seventeen for it so that's what I wanted to get. The guy I bought it from said a different dealer wanted to give him fifteen grand for it when he was looking at 08 tundras they were trying to get rid of.

2. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

For a diesel truck in this market and for the fact that you break even with that trade, I would say yeah, it's a good deal.

3. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I thought you recently purchased your first truck, a new Tundra??

4. Lakewlc

Lakewlc LawnSite Bronze Member

seems like a fair price for both sides. why you tradin that for a f150?

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

exactly!! burn the tundra and keep the F250

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  6. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

I was recently looking into trading my o4 f250 diesel 4x4 crewcab with 100k miles and was offered 9k by the Dodge dealership.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

X100

are ya nuts or somethin?...were talking diesel power here man.

8. S man

Yeah it's great and all but it's too big for me. I need a work/personal truck and the new 09 f150s are what I'm wanting to get. I was going to get one at the end of the year but they're offering me what I paid for the 250 on trade in so its a inticing offer.
    The tundra my dad purchased and put his truck in on trade and I was going to pay for the rest of it and we would share it. BAD MISTAKE! He needs his own truck to get to work because the guy that was giving him a ride to work is a jerk so he needs his own vehicle. and for side jobs(plumbing, installs) So a guy bought the tundra from us and gave me his f250 and a lot of cash. I decided I just need a 150 so I put the 250 up for sale just to see if I can sell it and I have had no success the private owner way so this trade in seems good. I wonder why the dealer wants the 250? Are they going to actually make money on it? The guy that bought the tundra was offered fifteen for it.

9. S man

Forgot to add, I could always snag a older f250 reg cab work truck for like 7 grand or less. It's just this truck I paid 17k for and its not really worth it. I could break even and get a 09 f150 and get really cheap 250 later on. Makes more business sense.

10. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I too thought you just bought a Tundra and I thought it looked pretty nice. Didnt know that you bought a REAL truck,LOL

I dunno what to tell you, you kinda confuse me with all your purchases, trades and things you sell.

GL with whatever you do but getting rid of a truck that holds value better than a gasser and gets equal to better fuel mileage seems like the wrong move to me IMO. But im not in your shoes so I dont know your personal situation.

But to stay relevant, 17 grand is a very good value for that truck.