17hp b&s losing rpm's upon blade engagement ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by redmax fan, Mar 16, 2014.

1. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

just bought it , riding deere sabre 17hp one cylinder with real low hours / mint . but its a 1999 . runs well without blades running but once blades engage it about boggs right out ? ive not touched it yet and am just wondering a game plan because im not real mechanical minded

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Did you run the engine long enough to get it warmed up? Assuming you also tried engaging the blades with the engine rpms a little higher. Not being a mechanical whiz either the only other thing that comes to mind is the crab might need some attention.

Or, maybe the engine is just tired like one of my mowers.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I would check the governor linkage. It may have come loose and when load is applied it isn't able to open the throttle more.

4. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

now that its brought up only time i ran it was upon purchase back in early february and it was real cold here , single digits , and it had only been running a couple minutes when i engaged blades . and linkage might be because original owner just cut lawn and parked it in garage its entire life , said he just changed oil / plugs / filters / greased it . has never done anything else and its never been worked on by him or mechanic