17hp briggs / craftsman - timing?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by broken mower, Jul 29, 2006.

1. broken mower

broken mower LawnSite Member

I just replaced the head gasket on her , and she runs , good compression . I ran it around the yard , seemed fine , then stalled and wouldnt start .

Started it this morning no problem.....with low fuel throttle , you notice it almost seems like the timing is way off .

Probably somthing stupid i did or dint hook up......can you time these things?

M#311707

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What did you adjust the valves at ? Should be 0.005 to 0.007 both intake and exhaust with the piston 1/4" down the cylinder past TDC compression stroke.

3. broken mower

Sorry for the delay . Yes I bought a feeler guage and did just that . I rechecked them and adjusted the exhaust a tiny bit , but was pretty close .

It will stall out under a good load , then I have to wait about 1 min and it will start fine and run , until another load is put on it (thick grass ). One of the levers by the throttle has to be set up wrong I think .

One is the throttle , one a choke it seems , the other I'm not sure , but it revs the engine when i push on it .

4. Restrorob

Sounds like you need to adjust the governor (the arm you pushed on to make it rev up). Look at the bottom of that arm, You will see a screw holding it to a shaft sticking out of the side of the block. With the engine off watch which way the shaft rotates while you move the throttle control to the wide open position. With the engine off and at full throttle loosen the nut on the arm and grab the shaft sticking out with a pair of pliers and rotate the shaft the same direction until it stops (lightly) then re-tighten the nut while holding a light pressure on the shaft.

5. broken mower

I did that and now it wont run for more than 1 sec .

In the off position the arm is all the way to the right , it really dosnt move with pushing the throttle up . Although I can tell it kinda want to move clockwise , and resists moving counter-clockwise while on full throttle (engine off) .

While running the arm goes counter-clockwise and moves clockwise for a quick jolt while accelerating , then back .

Does this sound right?

6. Restrorob

OK, I gave you the directions right out of the service manual because some are the opposite. Lets start over, With the engine off put the throttle at wide open. Loosen the nut on the arm and rotate the shaft CLOCKWISE then tighten, That will be the proper direction per your description of how its acting.