17hp briggs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by indyrenegade4x4, Apr 27, 2006.

1. indyrenegade4x4

indyrenegade4x4 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I have a 1998 craftsman 42" mower. I got it from a guy at work. When in mowing mode it goes and boggs down really bad. The motor was rebuilt by the guy at work a year ago. It seems like it has no power. Now these are some things I see could be a problem. It needs a muffler. The insides must be out of it. There is no air filter on it. He said he put new belts on. I am not sure of the spark plug. I dont want to spend a couple hundred $$ and it be something internally. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

first, i would do a compression test. less than 90 pounds is probably trouble. running with no air filter can mess up an engine in no time. make sure it has the correct spark plug while you have it out (J 19LM probably). if theres a mixture screw on the bottom of the carb, set it one turn off of snug, then start it. at full throttle, run it out til it blubbers, then count the turns IN til it stumbles, then split the difference. you could have junk in the carb, gas tank or fuel filter. with the fuel valve on the tank turned off, you can remove the float bowl and look for dirt. specs of dirt mean you'll have to dig into the carb. if the fuel stinks like varnish, you'll have to drain and clean the tank, the lines and the carb. if you need more help, please post the model, type, and code from the engine, its stamped on the blower housing.

3. indyrenegade4x4

from indiana

it is a model 311707 type 0132-E1 code 980128Z0 17hp ohv platinum i/c turbo cool I heard that if a briggs has an exhaust leak or no muffler they will not run good. They need backpressure like a motor does. Is this true.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ok you beat me to it.....

5. oldrustycars

6. oldrustycars

plug IS a J 19 LM

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Learn something new every day, thanks old rusty!

8. oldrustycars

RC12YC is the correct plug. Restrorob has the book in hand, and also informs me its what he uses, so go with that.

9. indyrenegade4x4

from indiana

How or what do I use for a compression test? If it is a tool where do I find one? RC12YC plug. Where can those be bought and what brand is it?

10. oldrustycars

compression testers can be bought at sears, or most auto parts stores. you screw it into the spark plug hole, open the throttle all the way, and crank the engine for 5 compression strokes. read the meter. less than about 90 psi indicates trouble. the plug was champion, any auto parts should have it, any mower shop will for sure have it.
    also, the guy wasnt BSing you about it being a 98, the code number shows that.