17hp kaw acting weird on start up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawsonc, Sep 1, 2005.

1. lawsonc

lawsonc LawnSite Member

I have a 17hp kaw on my 52" snapper and lately it has been acting very weird. When first started it seems to almost run like it is being choked but it is not(i have played with the throttle a lot) after running it for a minute or two it usually starts running right. The rpm's go up and is fine until you shut it off.
    I believe it might be the float b/c you smell gas while it is running like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Chris

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would check the choke shaft in the carb. and the linkage, It sounds like it may be hanging up then finially opening. I have also seen the choke butterfly screws vibrate loose and cause it to hang up.
    Btw, Your probably smelling fuel because it's running too rich at that time.

3. lawsonc

lawsonc LawnSite Member

I have played with the cable when this happens i am thinking maybe the float has a small hole in it? does this sound like a possibility????

Chris

4. Restrorob

I would say not, If it were the float or a float valve problem it would do it all the time. Thats why I suggested going right to the choke butterfly and linkage. The cable can be fine and will have nothing to do with what I'm saying to check.
    Btw, Are you hauling this unit on a trailer and it acts up between jobs ?

5. lawsonc

lawsonc LawnSite Member

yes i am hauling it and yes it does act up.

Why???

Chris

6. evan price

evan price LawnSite Member

because likely you are bouncing fuel out of the bowl and down the carb throat or saturating the air filter and until it burns off the excess gas it runs rough and floods out.

7. Restrorob

Ditto, Turn the fuel valve off when trailering your unit and see if that doesn't solve your problem, If not do as I suggested.

8. lawsonc

lawsonc LawnSite Member

thanks for the help i am going to look at the mower this weekend.

Chris