17hp Kawasaki Blowing Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JTurpin, May 9, 2001.

1. JTurpin

JTurpin LawnSite Member

I have a 17hp JD walkbehind that has 150 hours on it. The other day it started blowing oil out betwwen the seam of the head and block close to the oil drain plug. Anyone else had this problem. I was told that they have a slicone gasket and that's what is gone bad. The mower went off waranty in November of last year.

Thanks,
    John Turpin
    JD M665
    JD HD75

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Is it actually blowing the oil out of the base seal or is it leaking? Also, are you finding any black oil deposits on the air filter? If it's only leaking then all you need to do is get the base resealed. If it's blowing with deposits on the air filter then a rebuild is in order.

3. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell LawnSite Member

John,
    I have the exact same problem with my Exmark 420v. It has the 14hp Kaw, and mine was blowing/leaking from the same place. I have a thread running right now on this subject asking for advice on the repair. The dealer that I went to seemed to indicate that this is a problem that the Kaw's have been developing with the sump seal. They have reissued this seal with some mfg change, not sure exactly what. My machine is also out of warranty. I purchased mine used. I finally got the seal yesterday, and will hopefully get it changed tomorrow.

I need to go to TurfMfg.com and ask Exmark about this.

Like Richard said though, make sure you are not seeing oil anywhere else. Good luck.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, sounds like kawi. Don't expect anything from them. They sure won't make it a recall. This is the type of stuff from kawi that has given me a real bad taste for them.

5. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell LawnSite Member

Hey Hoss it has been awhile since I have been on, whatever happened with your nightmare situation?

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Basically I had to pay a rather large amount of money for little work to get my mower back. Kawi refused to do anything about it and basically decided that customers are not their concern. The dealer screwed me and add that with all the other problems I was having with those rednecks I quit doing business with them.

Do a search for update to oil in crankcase, the story is there. But I will buy kohlers or diesels from now on.

7. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, 65 hoss, that's a GREAT idea. Bend over and grab your ankles, cause Kohler's coming home. It "won't hurt a bit, I promise." You are one of the very FEW people I have EVER heard who prefer a Kohler over Kawasaki. Got an 8 year old 12.5 and a 2 year old Kawisaki 15 v-twin. No problems EVER! I would suggest the 25hp Kohler v-twin. I hear it is a real piece of work. As far as the engine manufacturer being involved in warranty or recently expired warranty work, word is that they all suck at customer service. Basically it is left in the dealer's hands. That is a shame and I think it stinks. Anyway please excuse my sarcastic tone, I was just kidding. Good luck whatever decision you make on the matter.

8. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

Ok Guys, Here's what happened to my 17hp kawi. that had the same problem. Only mine is on a 325 garden tractor. Noticed oil leaking in the same area about a year and half ago. Engine had only 270 hrs on it.Took it down to the JD dealer and they said it was either the seal around the oil filler spout or the oil pan gasket. So I bought a filler spout seal and replaced it myself but it did not fix the problem. Took it in to have the gasket replaced at a charge of $220.00 and the oil still continued blowing out. well, I took the mower back all fired up about the oil leaking and found out by one of the technician that the 17hp engine had a bad casting in the head where it connects to the engine block, why they never mentioned this in the first place I don't know.
    They said it was possible to weld it but that something to do with the weld getting onto the cylinder head may ruin it so they wound up using JB weld instead to seal it and so far about 200 hrs later I've had no problems or oil leaks. Originally the dealer told me to call JD to see if they would replace the head but the mower was 5 years old at the time and they wouldn't do it. From what I understand my dealer has replaced a few of these. Hope this helps.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hey lake, look at this post. Here are a few people having problems. Look around and you will see people starting to have problems. Most dealers will also tell you that kawi is the worst to deal with on warrenty work. I have 3 kawis and 2 kohler motors. Only 1 of my kawis (14hp) has never had a problem. The 12.5 and the 23 have had something one time or another. You can get a kohler fixed much faster than a kawi too. At least in these parts. Both of my kohlers have been flawless. The 25 kohlers DID have a problem. Problem fixed. Maybe the 17 kawi now has a problem. Are you going to judge all kawis the way you do kohlers based on the 17's?