17hp kawi problems...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnmaniac883, Jan 10, 2006.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, so heres the deal, im cutting one of my properties and the engine starts to fade in and out, as if being starved for fuel. I keep mowing like normal and it stops dead in its tracks. Turn off pto, turn key off/start it and on first click as always, it comes to life. Went through the same thing 5-6 times on various properties during the day, then go to load up mower, get halfway up ramps and bam...engine dies. So I get home today and suspect a bad fuel pump, nope removed the fuel line on pressure side, plenty of fuel pumping. Removed shroud of engine to make sure no kinks in fuel line, nothing. The unit is under warranty and goes to the dealer thursday, prolly just gonna sit there for awhile so I am wondering if anyone has a fix/has experienced this problem. All help is appreciated, btw is mounted on a 2004 gravely 44z. Thanks

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I had problems with a 14hp Kawi and it was low on engine oil. How was the air filter? or the oil level?

3. lawnmaniac883

Air filter is dirty, but still 30+ hours left on it. Engine oil is fine, fuel tanks topped off. Hydro fluid ok....when I had the shroud off, I noticed a solenoid on the bottom of the carb, maybe it isnt working properly? I really dont know but my guess is the more insight I can give my dealer, the quicker he can diagnose/fix the problem on gravely's dime...Thanks

4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel filter is partially blocked.

The solenoid is a fuel cut off when you turn off the key switch.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Maniac, I wouldn't go thinking Warranty on this one just yet, From what you describe sounds like maybe trash or water in the carb. since you can restart it right away. Just a example, The main jet has a suction on it from the engine pulling fuel. A piece of trash sloshes around in the carb. bowl and makes it's way to the main jet cutting off fuel flow and the engine stalls, Once the engine stalls the suction on the main jet stops and the trash dislodges and you are able to restart and continue until it happens again.
    My thought is maybe you should drop the carb. bowl and check this before you take it to your dealer because Warranty does not cover carb. cleaning or rebuilding, If thats what they find it may be your dime.

6. lawnmaniac883

Good point, it has a fuel filter on it but things can get through filters and build up in carbs. Restro, can you find me a parts schematic for what I am going to find inside this carb? FH500V S number is 43 I think. The really odd part is that it is so intermittent when it occurs. Could be mowing in pouring rain, runs fine, mowing in nice sunny weather mid 70s and it happens. The problem has been going on since new, figured that the engine was just getting a little too hot during first 25hours. Seems to me after that it stopped until now. Switched to synthetics at 75hours and to my surprise quited the engine down quite a bit. But anyway, I thought it may be a coil going out like when I went up the ramps, it died instantly. Seems to be a fuel related problem for sure, with pto engaged, after making a zero turn, give it some lever and it will choke out, back off and it will stop momentarily then run fine or bog more. Very strange, but anyway if I can see a parts breakdown, I will tear into the carb and let yall know what I find. Thanks.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Here you go.....

Good Luck

FH500V Carb. Break-Down.gif

8. lawnmaniac883

Ok, an update, I just got done cleaning the carb bowl and got everything put back together. (Kawisaki actually makes this simple to do). What I did, pulled the rear engine guard, pulled air filter/housing bolts and then pulled carb out, disc. all lines/levers. Drained the carb into a small white ceramic bowl, could see some debris had drained, not much though and no water either.

Once I got the entire assy. put back together, reassembled everything and proceded to start engine. After ~8 seconds of cranking, engine fired and ran perfectly as usual. Did some very short mowing and used hydros/pto to put load on engine. SO FAR, everything is fine but I will not really know until I run it for a few hours tomorrow.

For now, it aint going to the dealer, if it keeps it up then it will go, atleast debris in the carb has been eliminated as a culprit. Thanks to everyone who helped me out here, will post if it keeps it up.

9. lawnmaniac883

Ok, couldnt resist so I took it to a large open property that I mow regularly to see if I could get it to stall spit and all around b!tch at me again. NOPE, ran like the day I bought it. Amazing, must of had some water as well as debris in the carb. Hope that it keeps running like this, seat of the pants meter is pegged lol.