1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

17hp Motor on 52" Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by llllllll, Apr 2, 2008.

1. llllllll

llllllll LawnSite Member

Is a 17hp V-twin Kaw Motor to small for a 52" Wright Stander ?..Seems under powered to me..What do you think ?
  2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

ive got a 17 on my walkbehind....... its fine most of the time but gets bogged down in thick grass.
  3. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 15 hp and a 17 hp kaw on 52" hydro w/b- Many good years of service without a problem- even pulled a sulky as well-
    Yes boggs down in the thick grass but just slow down and it will still handle it- Hell my 25hp 54" w/b boggs at times as well.
  4. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Is your 25/54 a Hustler Super Walk Behind? I love tose things. You can't find them that often and when you do - people want $4500 for a 4 year old wb with 600 hrs!
  5. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes - I have 2 of the Hustler SWB's- $4500 with only 600 hrs (good deal)- Mine have been pretty good a few engine issues but nothing bad the worst thing about the mowers is the STUPID hand brake- I had to fix it and now it works good and doesn't chew threw tires.
  6. WrightWay05

WrightWay05 LawnSite Member

i have a 17hp kaw on my 52" hydro scag and it runs great with any problems
  7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 17Hp 48" Scag and did well..And now i just bought a 48" with a 16hp Kai engine will see how that one does..
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i think it is a little underpowered for a stander. you guys are trying to compare walks to a ride(stander) . you have to pull your butt along too so the extra hp for the 19 is recommended. i have the 17 kaw on my 48 stander, and would not consider a 52 without a 19hp. especially if you do any hills!!
  9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Yup..I got the 23Hp on my 52"
  10. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

If I had a dollar for every time I heard 02duramax has a 23 on his 52.......