1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

17HP TTHP Stalling?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Dixie Cutters, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

I have a 17HP 48" TTHP and when the mower is at higher speeds (4.5 up to 6 on the speed indicator), every once and a while the engine will stall out for like .5 to 1.5 seconds. I use stall out for lack of a better word, but it really just stops powering everything seems like its gonna stall out, but it kicks back in shortly their after. It never seems to happen once the blades are engauged, except it happens sometimes in any speed when the blades have just turned on, and you are releasing the handles for the first time after turning the blades on. It also happens when driving down the road to another job, say at 5 or 6 speed, it will just randomly sound like its about to stall and then kick bacn in and be fine. I know this is somewhat confusing, so if I need to clarify anything please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I would look at two areas of concern. One is electrical and one is fuel. If it's electrical the engine would simply shut off completely for at least for a moment and then it may or may not stumble it's way back up to full rpm. If this is the case I would probably look at the OPC levers or safety system. When I'm running a walkbehind at higher speeds I tend to relax my grip a little so that I'm not making too great of corrections when making turns or stops. The more I relax my grip the smoother I am with the controls.

If the engine starts to loose power but is still firing or is still but sputtering I would say there is probably some debris in the bowl of the carburator. When it gets stirred up it could be stopping fuel flow which to the cylinders.

When in doubt have your dealer check it out. More often than not doing so will save you a great deal of time and money.

3. not_as_noun

not_as_noun LawnSite Member
    from West GA

I started to have the same problem with the same machine. It turned out that the my electrical connections for the OPCs had gotten extremely dirty. I wiped them off, and the problem was fixed.