18/44 with a honda engine

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DannysDecks, Dec 14, 2004.

1. DannysDecks

DannysDecks LawnSite Member

I have an 18/44 with a Honda engine.
    The dealer said that it was a residential mower but, I may need it to mow about 5 acres.
    It looks like I will be laid off from my job soon, I was wondering if there is anything special besides the normal maintenance that I should do to the mower. It only has 7 hours on it right now.
    I have herd of people getting burn marks on there lawn when they stop. I put the throttle in idle when I stop and I haven’t had too many problems with burn marks yet.
    Thanks for the help.

2. DannysDecks

That was... 5 Acres a week. :) :cool2:

3. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

If you start mowing commercially with it your warranty will be reduced to 90 days. Other than that you should have no trouble with mowing a few yards with it. They're as heavy duty as a residential mower comes but it's designed for a homeowner to mow HIS grass.

We have a client who bought a 42" MiniFasTrak and mows several yards with it... he lost his warranty at 90 days but he loves it!

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Commercial warranty is only 90 days on the FasTrak.
    If your mowing anything other than your own residence, it is considered commercial use.
    Other than checking fluids and keeping your air filter clean, keeping sharp blades on it and not over working the machine, I dont know anything else that will help, all of these will give your mower a longer life.

Pj

5. DannysDecks

Thanks for the advice. :cool:
    Hopefully I will not get laid off. At least I have a Quality mower that can mow a few extra lawns to get me by.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Always let the mower warm up before you start moving it. The reason for this is to let the hydro fluid get up to temp. If not, you can run the risk of scoring one of the hydro pistons in the pump, because the fluid is too hard to push through.
    Pete